Met a personal trainer and...

Options
so, my friend/roommate is super in shape and it a gym rat! (not like me, yet!) :)

anyway, she took me to this trainers house/workout studio. She just asked me to check it out and get a feel for the trainer...

long story short, he asked. "Have you always been like this?" "Are you trying to loose weight?" " How much do you weigh?"
it was more of his tone than anything...and it was in front of my roommate and her friend

i thought i was comfortable talking about my weight and stuff, but I guess not...

I wanted to die...well, and slep the crap out of him! :(

just needed to get tt out

now (just for now) I feel like I do not want a personal trainer at all... some people are just not sensitive.'

ah well...thanks for reading (listening)

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    Don't you just love people with manners? Who raised these people to think that any thought should be said out loud? You practiced great self restraint not slapping him.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    i have a short temper!! i would have lost it and asked him what rock did he just crawl out from under???
  • krcorn5592
    Options
    Don't let that one discourage you from finding a great one if that is the way you want to go. I have a friend who sends me workout text messages daily. It's my job to actually do the workouts but it's nice having someone who is really there and trying to help you. I wish you the very best of luck!!
  • plutoniansmash
    Options
    My personal trainer was fantastic!!

IMO, if you want a trainer, go to the gym and ask the manager if you can meet with several... Pick the one you like the best, not the most convenient one!
  • SpartanTrainer
    Options
    Please don't judge all trainers by this one individual! There are many great ones out there who really do care. Avoid the ones that seem very pushy and obnoxious. Also when you are selecting one ask about what they have to offer, about the results they have achieved, certifications through legit organizations, CPR/AED, Insurance coverage. Usually before taking on a client I will gladly sit down with an individual for a free consultation, explain what I offer while asking about what they want to achieve, and get to know some things about them before developing a professional relationship. If I feel like I'm unable to help that individual or feel like we are not a good match I will happily refer them to another excellent instructor which might suit them better. Also beware of any trainers that will try to guarantee you certain things or try to sell you certain programs, supps. up front. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me and I will be happy to speak with you!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I am so angry you had to deal with that crap! You are a saint for not clocking him! I'm sorry you were attacked like that.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    some people are jerks... just like some bankers are rude... and some walmart cashiers are buttheads... and some lap dancers are evil... and some politicians are nice...

(ok that was supposed to be humor :laugh: )

please do not let the opinions of this one guy influence the way you feel about trainers...

in his own mind he may have been trying to employ "tough love"

if you are truly interested in a trainer then you can go to the local gyms and "test drive" them... or the ymca...

or just google and use the tremendous brains here at mfp and come up with a routine (that's what I did)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of personal trainers. I'm doing fine on my own without one. I don't need some guy I can military press telling me how to workout. Some of them will punish you for fun if you're really out of shape. There's no point in going to the gym if you're going to be stuck in bed sore for the next two weeks. You have to do it more often than that if you're planning on getting in shape in the next ten years. They're also ridiculously expensive and they're usually salesmen first. You'll never get in shape of you don't leave with a wheelbarrel full of expensive sugar pills, protein shakes, power bars, vitamins, etc., etc...
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's horrendous!! I am a personal trainer and there are ways to ask personal questions and that wasn't it! I'm sorry you had to deal with that douche! I hope you come around and don't hate all personal trainers! We're not all bad I swear!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That sucks. Don't let one douche put you off the idea of personal trainers though. If you want to try one then find one who has a semblance of a brain. I'm sure most of them are great at helping you achieve your best not at making you feel like crap.