Can't believe I'm sharing this story....This was my WAKE UP

Options
So I've had alot of moments when I've seen myself in pics and have been shocked by what I've seen. I'd be thinking, that can't be what I actually look like? I've steadily gained weight since graduating college. I probably weighed about 160 in college and when I joined MFP back in April, I weighed 244!! However, I only lasted 2 weeks in April and dropped 2lbs. I am happy to report that I now weigh 233 since re-comitting on 8/1/11.

Well, what made me re-comitt? It was a family trip to the amusement park. My son (he's 6) and I were in line for a ride, we boarded with everyone else but were the last one's to get "checked" by the ride attendant. When she got to us, she told me we had to switch seats as my son was sitting in the seat more accomadating for "larger people". When we switched seats and she attempted to buckle me in, it wouldn't fit. It just wouldn't fit. The buckle could not reach the harness. I was devasted when she said, I'm sorry its not gonna fit, you're gonna have to get off the ride :-(. I had to reamin composed in front on my son as I grabbed his hand and took the walk of shame pass everyone else that was already safely boarded and strapped in. They all watched the whole thing, which made it all the more traumatizing for me. I was truly devestated!!! I cried when we approached my hubby and my son blurted out "MOMMY COULDN'T FIT ON THE RIDE"!!! I knew that my hubby loved me unconditionally but I felt just as embarrassed for him as I did for myself. Why should he have to walk around the amusement park with a wife that can't even fit on all the rides?? This was a completely new occurence for me, as we go on family vacations every year and I always ride on the rides with no problem. It was my wake up call.

So that's why on 8/1/11 I started utilzing my gym membership and have been working out at least 5-6 days a week the entire month. I will NOT give up. I CAN'T give up!! When I feel myself getting tired at the gym, I replay the scene from the amusement park. I don't want to be that MOM that can't fit on rides, I don't want to be that WIFE that has let herself go. I WANT to be a healthy, fit MOMMY,WIFE, WOMAN,HUMAN BEING.

Thanks for listening I have only shared this story with my parents, bro and closest friends. And now I'm telling all of you guys WHY I choose to start loosing weight. 9lbs down and 71lbs to go!!!!!!

Replies

• Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That's really brave of you to share!! Congrats on getting starting and clearly doing such a good job so far!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Awww... but way to take that and turn into fuel for a healthier, happier you! Sometimes that's what it takes for us to realize that something needs to change. No shame! You are doing something about it now, and you should be proud of yourself for that. Good for you!
  • Stampinda
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to experience that but I'm glad that you chose to do something positive about it for yourself and your family. Stay focused and I know you'll reach your goal! :)
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a tough wake up call. But you know what, you're gonna succeed and be an inspiration to everyone around you. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
    shine
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Wake up moments in any area of life suck while they are happening, but, if like you, we use them to then change things than they are worth it. Congrats of making the change!
  • methetree
    Options
    Awesome goodness!!!! I fit ok on the rides at Disneyland and California Adventures last year, despite being super heavy.

But the rides at the park near home, well... I didn't fit. I can't wait to go home and ride those rides! It will be so awesome!

Thanks for sharing your story! You can do this and feel free to friend me if you want support!

Keep up the greatness!
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I've been there myself, when my daughter was young. I'm glad you decided to join us on MFP. It really is a great place to be. Congrats and keep up the great work!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes something very embarrassing to open our eyes to reality. I think, as humans, we naturally want to deny the things we don't want to be true. It is just how human nature works. You took an embarrassing situation and you changed your life because of it.

I commend you for that.

You can do this and next time you to go an amusement park? You'll be riding EVERYTHING! :)
  • rttd3
    rttd3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just don't try to over do it. Find something u enjoy. Maybe even walking the track with ur family. It will help u stick with it when u r down. That is a great start already!!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You are so brave! I want to see you succeed! Keep working hard and I know you'll do this.:flowerforyou:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I used to work at an amusement park on the roller coaster. It broke my heart every time we had to make someone get off the ride.

Good luck with your new re-commitment!
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Very brave indeed.

Welcome back to the MFP family. Glad you are here.

Congrats on the great work so far. One day at a time, and anything is possible.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    wow, that must be real tough. especially for a mom, or even for a women to feel wow, i cant fit in this cause of this reason. out with family or boyfriend or some kind of a relationship, or even just friends...

i know you can do this!!! ♥
    you are strong and you will carry on!! ;D

btw congrats on the little weight loss :)
  • Darcie1970
    Options
    congrats on coming back!! this will be your key to success! i am on a similar journey , if you need some encouragement you can add me as a friend im sure that we could encourage each other!!
  • thickgurly
    thickgurly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! I know how you feel, but you took a step foward to make a difference and you will... God bless you and you succeed.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hugs! What a crummy experience! Good work on your weight loss so far - slow and steady wins the race!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Awww...you poor thing!! I'm so glad you're here and just want to say YOU CAN DO IT...I'm proof!! :flowerforyou:
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Now, just take that lemon and make lemonade! :-D. You WILL succeed and the next time you go to the amusement park, you and your son will have the best time ever!
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ugh - ive had a similar thing happen with my 4 year old. :( im sorry you had to go through that, but im glad you shared it here. we're all here to support you - and we can all (mostly!) relate.

welcome back (im a re-re-re-restarter too) - we can do this! :) the next time you go to the theme park, you and your son will be able to ride together. and he can HAVE the "bigger" seat :)