Recording Weight loss on MFP

Options
Just curious if anyone else out there does this. You know how the scale goes a little down then a little up..then down etc. I weigh every morning. I have this mental rule (maybe it's a superstition). The only new weight I record on MFP is if I feel very confident that I will never see to that number again...figuring in scale fluctuations. So actually I'm always at about a 2or3 lb lag. I guess I dont want to jinx myself by recording that I lost it until it's truly in my rearview window!

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I record daily. Average those 7 weights on a Sunday and that's my weekly weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone else out there does this. You know how the scale goes a little down then a little up..then down etc. I weigh every morning. I have this mental rule (maybe it's a superstition). The only new weight I record on MFP is if I feel very confident that I will never see to that number again...figuring in scale fluctuations. So actually I'm always at about a 2or3 lb lag. I guess I dont want to jinx myself by recording that I lost it until it's truly in my rearview window!

With that system I would have been in a 20 pound lag because that is the outer limit of how high I have fluctuated.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. I’m never “sure” I’ll never see it again. I have had water weight gains as much as 18 pounds over a vacation. I just weigh every AM and put whatever it says. I don’t have the mental energy to devote to anything beyond that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    As a Libra (weight trending app) user, and before that a graph paper user ;) , I kept track of my daily weights one of those ways while losing weight, recording every day's weight. When I hit a new low weight (temporary or otherwise) on the first-thing-in-the-AM daily weigh-ins, I put it on MFP. Now in maintenance for several years, I have't touched the MFP weight in a long time, but keep updating Libra daily.

Whatever recording method works well for you is the right thing to do. :)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I use a trending ap, so weigh every day, and update MFP weekly on a Saturday. I prefer to just give MFP a once a week update. The difference in calories is negligible
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I record the weight on Fitbit. Whenever I get on the scale. It automatically sends it out to Trendweight.com and MFP. I have the weight announcements turned off on MFP. This continues to today.

When i was losing weight, I would, upon seeing that I was about to hit a new meaningful low on trendweight, temporarily re-enable the MFP weight announcement.

Yup, this is what I do too.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I record the weight on Fitbit. Whenever I get on the scale. It automatically sends it out to Trendweight.com and MFP. I have the weight announcements turned off on MFP. This continues to today.

When i was losing weight, I would, upon seeing that I was about to hit a new meaningful low on trendweight, temporarily re-enable the MFP weight announcement.

This is what I do also. Before I had a Fitbit I used Libra.

I find that daily weigh-ins and recording this helps me understand fluctuations. This way I only show concern with the trend rather than normal daily fluctuations.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I'd go crazy only recording weight-ins I was 'sure' of never seeing again, too convoluted. I'm set at 0.5lbs weight loss per week, I have weight fluctuations higher than that, I'd probably go weeks without recording anything.

I weigh daily AND record daily. I have my own excel file to track my average weight and weight trend (and lots of other info). I also enter my weight in my Garmin Connect app, which syncs automatically with MFP. I used to turn off timeline posts except for new lows, but I just can't be bothered anymore to fiddle around in my settings that often :lol:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I use "Monitor your weight" for my weigh ins and only log my new lows on here, my reason being that MFP announces any losses and if I'm going up and down with the same 2-3lbs I feel a fraud everytime someone congratulates me for my loss when it's the same weight just fluctuating.
    Also I've seen that lower figure so I know I can do it and I want to reach it again so it motivates me to keep at it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    My weight is lowest on Monday morning (bit of water in legs on office days). If I were to log a weight I don’t hope to see again I can’t log the Monday weight as it will eventually come back for 1-3 weeks in the middle of the week.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I check pretty much every day, first thing in the morning, but my only record day for MFP is Thursdays. I chose Thursday because I noticed that Monday mornings, my weight spikes and the lowest reading is usually on Friday or Saturday, so I figured I'd go with the middle and use that weight. But water weight gains can skew that Thursday record sometimes as much as 5 - 8 lbs overnight, so I've started trying out HappyScale for a trend and am considering changing my plan to either recording the average weight of the last 7 days on thursdays or the 7 day trend weight that HappyScale calculates for Thursday. We'll how things look tomorrow. I hoping that going with the average or trend weight will help on those weeks were my weight spikes on Thursdays due to water weight gains or other temporary weight gains.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Your happy scale trend is already an average that considers a certain number of previous days to smooth out the influence of a one or two day bleep.

It may consistently lag, a little bit, when you're consistently moving in a single direction, but it will show a more true picture if your variability is greater than your long term rate of change.

In all cases it will eventually show you your actual peeks and valleys and inflection points.

It would probably be ok for your purposes to use your weight trend as is.... even on Friday 😇
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Like many above, I use Libra every day to track the trend and then I put in my lowest weight for the week in MFP, usually on monday, assuming I have a new low that week (which I usually do). As long as I'm on track, I completely ignore higher weights, knowing that they'll just come back off (with a couple of their friends). I KNOW my plan, and KNOW I'm losing, so there's no stress.