Why are the last few pounds the hardest?

Options
I've been reading some success stories to keep motivated and so many people say the last few pounds are the hardest to lose. Why is this?

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh, the more calories it takes to maintain that. Maintenance calories, and thus deficit-amounts of calories drop at lower weight. (For sedentary petite folks, maintenance may be less than 1400 calories at/near their normal weight range).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The last few pounds weren't the hardest for me - I had all the various estimates involved in working out my calorie balance all dialled in by then and lost at the desired rate.

There's lots of factors involved (especially concerning adherence) but they are personal and not universal.

If people have a lot to lose or have a fast initial rate of loss then losing slower towards the end is probably a good idea. But slower isn't the same as harder.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask the people who say that?

I didn't find the last pounds harder, but they were slower . . . because I intentionally gradually slowed down loss rate to coast into maintenance.

At a slower loss rate, accuracy becomes more important (or unintentional variations have a more material impact); and normal weight fluctuations (from things like water weight shifts) obscure the slower results on the scale more routinely, making self-assessment in short time periods more challenging (and for some, more of an emotional roller-coaster).
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I was curious just how LONG will the last 8 lbs take to lose...
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/take-off-those-last-10-pounds

My opinion, I think it's more difficult for women because of hormonal fluctuations of menstrual cycle plus for me, I'm learning to not emotionally overeat and I LOVE food!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Some really insightful answers here. Thanks.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I always wonder this as I've seen people stating anything from the last 5 to the last 25 pounds being the hardest to lose. It seems like it's just an anecdote and some people find it harder than others.
  • MomLarisa
    MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is definitely true for me. I'm already at a healthy weight but trying to get down to the lower end of the healthy range. I only "get" like 1210 calories a day even though I'm 5'11 and not tiny framed. I feel hungry frequently and even when I stick to calorie goals I still feel like I jump around quite a bit. I'm just trying to have faith and stick to tracking and staying honest and am going to give it a couple months to hopefully creep my way down to goal weight.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For me it was slower not harder, simply because I was consuming calories closer to maintenance level, and less body weight burns less calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of it this way before my PP, but there's also the basic nutrition-math problem: When I was obese, I could (mathematically) fit in a pretty decent calorie deficit, say even 1000 calories/day for 2 pounds/week, and have enough calories left to get decent nutrition thus (one hopes) keep my health up. (Not saying that would've been my best choice, even then. :) )

As I approached goal weight, even a pound a week (500 calories daily) would begin to be nutritionally and energetically punitive, and that starts to have feelings as side-effects (hunger, low mood, fatigue, whatever), especially after being in a deficit for a long time.

Hunger, low mood, fatigue, etc. . . . are hard. ;)

I'd argue that keeping on with an aggressive loss rate makes the last few pounds harder, even if it might* make the last few pounds faster.

* "Might", if compliance suffers and major eat-fests start being interspersed between on-goal days - very individual and situational. Non-compliance, i.e., feeling out of control: Also hard. ;)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MomLarisa wrote: »
    This is definitely true for me. I'm already at a healthy weight but trying to get down to the lower end of the healthy range. I only "get" like 1210 calories a day even though I'm 5'11 and not tiny framed. I feel hungry frequently and even when I stick to calorie goals I still feel like I jump around quite a bit. I'm just trying to have faith and stick to tracking and staying honest and am going to give it a couple months to hopefully creep my way down to goal weight.

As long as you are eating below your maintenance calories, you WILL continue to lose. It will just happen more slowly. I recently lost 20 pounds MFP said I should eat at 1250 calories. Tried and couldn’t do it. Upped calories to 1350 and had days that I ate MUCH more than that. Still lost the weight, although it took 7 months.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @whmscll - I'd like to do it your way. I am happy to lose slowly. I do really want to lose but know if I go on a strict diet I'll rebel and eat too much. Doing it really gradually feels like a good way to practise maintenance for life. I don't mind if it's 1/2lb to 1lb each week as long as it keeps slowly nudging down the scales.