Eating low calorie foods

Options
I am a little curious about this and no one really posted this before or I have not seen. I have tried to google it but there no real answer. I know carrots, lettuce, celery and other foods carry very little calories but how much of these foods can you actually eat. Lets just say I eat a bowl of cereal (fiber one) and 1% milk which adds up to 260 calories or a pound of carrots. Both fill me up but the carrots are much fewer calories. How do I factor in the metabolism? If I eat calorie free foods does it not count?

Replies

• sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat counts
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a calorie free food. if there is something (like corn or celery) that might possibly even out it still isnt providing your body with any energy/nutrients so its stil not as good for you as something giving you the latter

any food you eat should be giving you energy or nutrients, if its not then its empty calories which is the OPPOSITE of free calories!
  • sweetmornings
    Options
    Carrots have more sugar than cereal does.
  • 4himalone
    Options
    bump...interested in replies to this also!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, it goes in your diary... Make sure that you drink enough water too... It's calories free and helps fill you up. 260 calories is nothing to be worried about if that's all you've had for breakfast. No need to add a yogurt or a donut to that. You can eat 260 calories of carrots in one sitting but I think your jaw might get tired and you could turn orange! :-P Honestly, moderation in everything is best. Don't worry about eating more than 1,200 calories a day, worry about eating more than 2,500 calories a day!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    AA calorie is a calorie. u can get full off 500calories a day in nothing but salad, but ur body needs around 1200calories to function...and can still go into starvation mode even if your completely stuffed.
  • strapple
    Options
    i was surprised when i found this out! i was eating steamed carrots for lunch for a LONG time before i realized it was netting almost 150 calories even without salt and with i cant believe its not butter! i switched to broccoli and tofu and it was such a better choice because there wasn't a ton of sugar so it cut the calories....plus way more protein! sometimes things that are good for you, in excess can really be bad.
  • strapple
    Options
    oops i posted twice somehow
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options

And eating is more than just calories: getting the nutrition your body needs is as important as calorie intake. A pound of carrots will not provide the necessary fat and protein you need to fuel your fat burning and muscle building.
  • strapple
    Options

And eating is more than just calories: getting the nutrition your body needs is as important as calorie intake. A pound of carrots will not provide the necessary fat and protein you need to fuel your fat burning and muscle building.
    YES!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

No, carrots do not have more sugar, they have alot less than cereals - carrots have only 5g sugar per 100g carrot, plus some good quality complex carbohydrates. Cornflakes for instance have 7g sugar per 30g cereal, equal to about 23g sugar per 100g cereal and many have much higher amounts. Best not to confuse good complex carbohydrates with simple sugar.