Calories burn long after intense workout

Options

Replies

• clippershore
    Options
    I've heard that before, and that is why it is best to work out in the morning to start your day with a kick to your metabolism.
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    Too bad I can only find time to work out at night =/ It's ok, what I'm doing works for me! =) Thanks for the article!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've heard that before, and that is why it is best to work out in the morning to start your day with a kick to your metabolism.

If you can and have the time great! But a workout at night is just as good for you.

Any exercise is great for you, no matter how intense. Intense is better, but even just a 30 minute walk is a great start.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just have to get it in when I can, with my schedule I am struggling to make time for any at all.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This looks like a well-done study, and Nieman is a "real" physiologist--just a couple of observations.

The results are some what of an outlier compared to previous research. A few years ago, a researcher did a meta-analysis of studies in area and came up with an average post-exercise calorie burn of 14% of calories expended during the exercise session for high-intensity exercise. This is closer to 40%. Doesn't means it's wrong, it just means you have to exercise some caution when generalizing the results.

Another thing is sample size and type---we have a sample size of 10 young males.

Another note: Exercise chosen was 45 minutes of cycling--so this would not really quality as HIIT. It's more of a HISS (high-intensity steady state) workout, or what I often call a "tempo" workout.

One last thing: the researcher suggested that doing 5 of these types of workouts per week would result in 1 pound of fat loss.

Duh.

I find it a little unrealistic to recommend that the average person do five, 45-minute, high-intensity workouts per week.

What it confirms is that higher-intensity exercise has a lot of beneficial effects and adds what looks like a well-constructed informative research study to the pile of evidence. Certainly anyone who is plodding along doing the same low-level cardio day after day would do well to up the effort a little.

I don't think you can pound yourself into the ground day after day, however, without experiencing adverse effects, so high-intensity exercise has some practical limits.

Anyhow, thanks for the link--I will try and look up the actual paper tomorrow and see if there is anything more to be gained from the details.