Overwhelmed and feeling hopeless.

Options
I'm completely overwhelmed by strength training. I know that sounds stupid but I am!
I've tried doing bits and pieces, but I feel as though I'm not doing them right. I mean, I know the exercise I need to do, but where do you start when you can barely do a single push up?
I have recently purchased a set of resistance bands, but I still feel like I'm failing with this whole thing when I use them.

What did you do to get in the swing of things when you were at the very start of the beginner line?

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I am doing the 30 days shred and it is intense. But...I have noticed that I am doing (modified) push ups a little easier and the lunges with arm raises are getting easier. If you have on demand level one is on there for free. Give you a starting point
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    I felt this way in the beginning of my lifestyle change. I could not even walk up my stairs w/o feeling overworked. It really does get easier, just push yourself a little more each time you do it and you will start to notice it'll be cake for you! :) Good luck!
  • venom74799
    Options
    Take it slowly and work with exercises that aren't too hard on you yet can start developing muscles. Push ups were impossible for me at first. I decided to concentrate on strengthening my arms and back with barbell and machine weights. After about 3 months, I could do 10 pushups and has continued to increase. You can go on YouTube and find tons of videos on strength training and just compile a list of exercises that don't put too much stress on you until you get stronger.

Whatever you do don't overdo it or you end up straining something and throw off your entire schedule.

Remember the words: Tiger blood
  • clippershore
    Options
    Inclined push-ups against the wall is how I started out. Each week I would do strength training 2 days and cardio 2 days at least. On my strength training days I would start out with 10 push-ups for the first week then up it to 15 even if I had to go back to get the other 5 in. Then 20 the next week and so on. Even if it takes you all day to meet your rep goal just keep trying to push it out. Also doing squats is a strength exercise, and so are lunges. There are lots of work outs you can do with the resistance bands. Look up videos on You Tube for some start out workouts with them. I hope that you can find an easy routine to get you started and not feeling so overwhelmed.
  • clippershore
    Options
    Sorry for the dbl post. I don't know how to delete it.

Inclined push-ups against the wall is how I started out. Each week I would do strength training 2 days and cardio 2 days at least. On my strength training days I would start out with 10 push-ups for the first week then up it to 15 even if I had to go back to get the other 5 in. Then 20 the next week and so on. Even if it takes you all day to meet your rep goal just keep trying to push it out. Also doing squats is a strength exercise, and so are lunges. There are lots of work outs you can do with the resistance bands. Look up videos on You Tube for some start out workouts with them. I hope that you can find an easy routine to get you started and not feeling so overwhelmed.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When I was at the very start of the beginner line (in March) I hired a personal trainer who comes to my house. She showed me proper form and how to use my various tools, including bands.

If that's not an option, find modifications for those common moves that trouble you. Or, forgo the bands and pushups right now and do something simpler like Walk Away The Pounds. After a month of that, look for a good light weight training video. I recommend Collage Video's website to view short clips of DVDs. They also categorize workouts according to type (cardio, toning, etc). Then, once you find something you like, check out the reviews for that DVD on Amazon and go from there.

Good luck!!
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. I can barely do a modified push up! I am just taking it slowly and celebrating each baby step.
  • Ogrillion
    Options
    I just want to add I was in the same boat. It does get better and just keep at it, don't get discouraged with numbers like you can only lift x or do this x amount of times.

I know my biggest issue is constantly pushing myself, I find if I let myself I would just do the same weight every week at the gym but then I wouldn't really see any progress. So I constantly push myself harder each week, sure some weeks I do a lot more and other weeks I have to back down in weights a lot (I don't get it but whatever). And sure doing the workout I think man I hate doing this exercise, OMG this hurts so much, ugh I don't want to push this freakin barbell up one more time..

However by the end of the exercise you feel awesome, you feel like you accomplished something and you pushed yourself. Its rewarding in itself..

And for the record I couldn't do a normal pushup and I am a guy, but after like 4 months in the gym I can do quite a few pushups and wonder why I found them so hard before. Now if only pull ups were that easy =) Just keep at it, even if you only do half a push up.. Eventually you will do more

Ogrillion
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I can relate.

I detest strength training because it makes me feel weak.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. There are alot of ways to learn proper technique and what exercises are the best to do. You can hire a personal trainer, you can take a group exercise strength class where the instructor will help you, you can get a dvd that shows routines and listen to the cueing techniques, etc. I'm a fitness instructor and personal trainer. If you have certain moves you are curious about, let me know and I'll video some tips for you. Let me know. =]