Best fitness program

Options
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a workout program that I can do at home. Im a bit lost when it comes to exercise and I dont just want to lose weight, i want to get fitter too.

Can anyone recommend a fitness program thats fun to do? I dont really know how to start and I dont really want to just go for a run or walk. I find it too monotonous and dont stick to it.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no "one size fits all" answer.

For well-rounded fitness, you want at least (1) something that improves your cardiovascular capacity, (2) something that improves your strength, (3) some attention to flexibility/agility, (4) something that helps your balance. But any activity you'll do consistently will create better fitness than something you hate and put off or skip, so what you personally find fun is really important. No one else but you knows what is fun to you, right? :)

Many different forms of exercise do some of some of those, but not necessarily all of all of them. It might take a combination of different activities.

That you want to start at home adds another layer. Some things are technical enough that they're harder to do correctly on your own, without expert guidance. Also a complicating factor that you don't want to run or walk.

Many people would suggest a couch to 5k (c25k) running program as a starting cardiovascular challenge, and bodyweight strength exercise on the strength side (if you don't have weights or similar at home). There are quite a few YouTube-based or other video programs that might work for cardiovascular or combination/circuit training. I'll leave it to others to recommend specific ones, because I don't do home videos. (If no one responds to this thread, but the general idea of videos appeals to you, post asking that specific question in the Fitness part of the forums and you'll get plenty of answers).

There are some good strength programs, including minimal equipment ones, in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Keep in mind that for cardiovascular improvement, there are dozens of things you can do that don't occur to some people when they think "exercise", such as dancing of many types, skating (ice, inline, roller), bicycle rides, martial arts, active video or virtual reality games, etc., as well as what some think of as only for children, like jumping rope, hula-hooping, and that sort of thing.

It's you who'll need to decide what sounds like fun, and follow up on it. I'd suggest a few things:

* Start off gradually, doing something that's a bit of a physical challenge, but that isn't exhausting. Exercise doesn't have to be miserable to be effective!
    * As it gets easier, increase frequency, duration, or intensity to keep a bit of a challenge going. That's how fitness develops.
    * Take rest/recovery days (limited or even no exercise). Recovery is part of making progress.
    * When you start something new, give it a fair chance. Almost everythiing feels really awkward and difficult at first. You'll get better. Things that are easy the very first time tend to get boring sooner. Things that are more complicated at first can be interesting and challenging longer, maybe permanently.

Some time back, I figured out that what I like most is on-water rowing, and spin classes, so what I do wouldn't work at all for your preferences as outlined. But there's something out there that will work for you: Keep trying new things; even the experimenting can be fun!

Best wishes!
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beachbody on Demand has some pretty decent at home workouts. However, the subscription can be pricey.