Quick healthy meal ideas?

Options
Hey guys,

Im looking for your favorite really quick but still good for you meals. I work the overnight shift so I end up eating lunch and dinner at work usually so I need things i can make quick then just throw in my bag. I know ppl are going to say salad but im really not a salad person...never have been. HELP! lol

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Make friends with a crockpot. You can cook everything in there while you sleep during the day. That was my life-saver when I was single.
  • I do tyson frozen grilled chicken breast and broccolli both of which you can throw in a microwave container and warm up for lunch or dinner. I also make wraps! One tortilla fill it with the veggies you prefer grilled chicken or a lean lunch meat and a fat free or light dressing that you like.... roll it up and its a meal on it's own! Or if you prefer make an adult version of the Lunchable..... Some low sodium or fat free crackers lunch meat and sliced cheese cut into squares and maybe some fresh fruit or veggie sticks. Hope this helps. :)
  • CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally understand food on the go...

Are you able to use a microwave?? When I worked long and unconventional hours I found that soup and/or food that could be zapped and eaten were way better than always relying on cold food. Especially in the fall winter, I always wanted WARM food so I would sub my homemade sandwich or salad for something that I could go get that was hot. I also found it hard to find the time to make my food because my schedule was so hectic. I like these recipes because it makes A TON so you can share (with roommates or significant others...) or just keep it stocked up for a week's meals and freeze what is left over.

First suggestions:

Beef Pho Soup
    http://girlinoregon.blogspot.com/2011/08/faux-pho-bo-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup.html

Another great one that I just made and am in love with is BBQ Turkey. You can put this on a roll, in a wrap, on a salad, etc.
    http://girlinoregon.blogspot.com/2011/09/bbq-turkey-sandwiches.html

If you don't mind cold/room temp options... a Cherry Quinoa salad is also good but it doesn't keep as long because of the fresh raw veggies & fruit. It says it is a salad but it is totally filling and not at all like bunny food.
    http://girlinoregon.blogspot.com/2011/08/cherry-quinoa-salad.html

I am going to try a Cherry Chili soon too, so hopefully that will be one to add to the list!

My other suggestions is plan nonfat yogurt to mix with cereal or homemade granola and fruit. It isn't a savory meal, but it usually fills me up and squashes any sweet tooth cravings that seem to lurk during the evening shift hours.

Best wishes!

a.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My favourite quick thing is the pouches of tuna! Not sure if you like tuna or not, but they're 80 cals, 1 carb, and tons of protein! you can always bring some bread to throw it on if you don't like to eat it plain. Yummmm. [;