Is it as simple as calories in vs calories out

Options
Hermie123451982
Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
edited March 2020 in Introduce Yourself
Thoughts on this is weight loss just about a calorie deficit? All these fad diets and ways of eating floating about but could it be as simply as a calorie deficit

Replies

• Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you I have lost weight well with keto/low carb but I was in a deficit so could I of had the same or better results if I had hit the exact same calories but made up of carbs aswell?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    It's physics.

Energy has to come from somewhere to run your body. If you consume fewer calories than your body uses, the only place that your body can get the balance of the calories it needs is to use what is stored as fat/muscle/etc.

The scale will fluctuate in the short term due to things like varying water retention but a calorie deficit over time will result in weight loss over time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you I have lost weight well with keto/low carb but I was in a deficit so could I of had the same or better results if I had hit the exact same calories but made up of carbs aswell?

Likely yes. People who do keto/low carbohydrate often see quick water weight loss, but over time results are going to even out.

Keto/low carbohydrate is a good strategy for people who find it makes it easier for them to consistently hit their calorie goals. Some people find that their appetite is less when they follow these ways of eating. But at the end of the day, any weight loss that happens is due to a calorie deficit.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is that simple. Calories in - calories out + a bit of discipline + laughter and joy = Success and better Health! (Weight loss is just a side effect)

It took me three years to lose 156 pounds. Down from 312 lbs to goal weight 156 lbs. Half of my old weight!

The only restrictions I have are health-related dietary restrictions besides that, I have fun planning, cooking, eating and indulging.
  • mtamashiro
    mtamashiro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    - In order to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit
    - The act of weight loss BY DEFINITION means that you are in a calorie deficit

Both statements are true, but personally, I prefer the second statement. The fact is, no one knows the exact amount of calories they are putting in their body and no one knows the exact amount of energy their body uses. There are tools to estimate those amounts, but at the end of the day they are just ESTIMATES. It is so important to adjust and adapt and I think that gets lost when people only focus on the first statement above.

Of course water weight fluctuations and all that so it's more of an overall long term thing.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    With regards to 'weight' then absolutely...you've heard of people just consuming McDonalds - Subway, etc., and lost weight.

However, you're 'health' will suffer if you just consume junk. Some will be much more intolerant to certain foods/additives, etc.,

IMO it's more 'the whole package' regarding thriving in the body you've been given. I'm trying to 'keep it simple' - more whole foods - less overly processed 'food' products out there.
  • Snarfster42
    Snarfster42 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is that simple. Just make sure that what you eat does contain what you need. Been doing this for a while now and lost 25 kg that way.

If you are able to and not yet doing it, add exercise to your new lifestyle. You will feel so much better in the longer run.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss, no matter what you are eating.

However, certain 'types' of diets can be easier to stick to for some people. Some people feel more satiated eating more protein, others by a higher fat diet. Adherence is just as important as a calorie deficit for the end result. It can take some time to figure out what works best for you.

I've lost over 30lbs so far by eating the same foods I ate before, but in more appropriate quantities. (I had a pretty balanced diet to start with, just too much snacking and too many calories overall)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    100% that is the "secret" to losing weight. does that mean eating cake and icecream only? absolutely not. But it also doesn't mean you have to deny things you love in moderation.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, I eat anything but in moderation and when I'm in a deficit I lose weight, when I'm not I don't.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    I agree with above also exercise