Staying on track on weekends

Options
I have been on all sides of the scale, I've been under weight, I've competed, I've been over weight.... since January I've stopped the yo to dieting and taking drastic measures to drop weight, and it's working, slow and steady.

My question is how does this lifestyle affect your weekends? Eating out in particular. For years now my husband and I bond over eating out, and we enjoy it. Several times per weekend.

Sometimes it's easy to order the salad, other times I'd rather gauge my eyes out than eat a salad while he enjoys a pizza. What are your healthy, yet enjoyable go to meals when you eat out?

I also find sometimes I'm disappointed when I try order a healthier option only to find it arrive and its covered in oil or has added butter or other hidden calories.

Replies

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When we eat out, not often at all, I immediately split my meal in half and take the rest home for another meal. I eat veg first, then protein, then starch if any. If unsure of how the entree is prepared, ask for it to be steamed if possible.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I strategically choose a restaurant and decide what I'm going to order ahead of time. If I want to indulge, then I plan for it by adjusting my calorie/macro intake before eating out. It takes a little more time and effort, but I feel it is worth it to stay on track. It's all about your mindset.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to lose I will save/bank some extra calories to use up on the weekend. I can't go too crazy, so I will usually eat light during the day if I know I have a dinner or event that night.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I actually plan to go off track a little over the weekends. I don't overdo it and I have a plan so I know what I'm going to eat. When going out I find I need to speak up and politely ask some questions before ordering. Perhaps make a swap - roasted veggies instead of fries or ask for the salad dressing to be put into a container and not drizzled over.

During the week I save up some calories, so I eat a little less. Over the weekend I'm able to use up some of the calories I've saved up so I'm able to eat more. So over the course of the week all of my calories balances out and I maintain my weight (and I lost weight when I was losing).

Also I'm a bit more active over the weekend as well so that helps.
  • breanacasey2017
    breanacasey2017 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I strategically choose a restaurant and decide what I'm going to order ahead of time. If I want to indulge, then I plan for it by adjusting my calorie/macro intake before eating out. It takes a little more time and effort, but I feel it is worth it to stay on track. It's all about your mindset.

I do this as well. Or i make sure i do 30 minutes of exercise in the morning (jump rope, dancing, walking) just to free up some extra calories. And sometime i'll try to recreate my favorite fastfood/takeout meal. This past weekend i wanted a Big Breakfast w/ Hotcakes from Mcdonalds. Instead of going to buy it, i made it at home w/ Pillsbury canned biscuits, kodiak protein pancake mix, veggie sausage, scrambled eggs, and I fried a hash brown in my air fryer. It was just as satisfying but i was able to stay within my calorie goal