Options
2»

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Fats have 9 calories per gram
    Protein has 4 calories per gram.

Anything that contains a lot of fat and a lot of protein will by definition have a lot of calories.

I am confused what you are looking for.
    Do you eat meat?
    Do you want something with lots of bulk OR with lots of fat and protein.

Best idea I have for you is a cabbage salad drizzled with a peanut butter / spicy sesame dressing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Fats would be : nuts walnuts, macadamia, pecan Brazil etc avacado any kind of olives seeds like sesame ( tahini is basically sesame butter) flaxseed, chia, hempseed, oils like olive oilavacado oil macadamia oil ) These have protein as well. Why not get yourself a vegetarian/ vegan books and for a beginner so you know what you need and where it comes from

I’ve looked for veggy cookbooks but found nothing that appealed to me as most dishes seem to be sandwiches, salads, buddhabowls with rice, veggies, and salad, or dishes with mushrooms. And local ones contain crap such as fake sausages, quorn and other convenience food. It looks like cookbook authors lack ideas as well.

If you are open to eating in different ways I'd recommend ethnic cookbooks for veggie ideas, like Indian vegetarian options. Tons of normal curries are vegetarian. Ethiopian food can easily be made vegan. Lots of Italian and Eastern Asian and Middle Eastern and Latin American staples are (or can be made) vegetarian.

This is a good site too: 101cookbooks.com

That said, I'm pretty fond of the buddha bowl and pasta with beans and salad with protein ideas too for no thought ease.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Fats would be : nuts walnuts, macadamia, pecan Brazil etc avacado any kind of olives seeds like sesame ( tahini is basically sesame butter) flaxseed, chia, hempseed, oils like olive oilavacado oil macadamia oil ) These have protein as well. Why not get yourself a vegetarian/ vegan books and for a beginner so you know what you need and where it comes from

I’ve looked for veggy cookbooks but found nothing that appealed to me as most dishes seem to be sandwiches, salads, buddhabowls with rice, veggies, and salad, or dishes with mushrooms. And local ones contain crap such as fake sausages, quorn and other convenience food. It looks like cookbook authors lack ideas as well.

If you are open to eating in different ways I'd recommend ethnic cookbooks for veggie ideas, like Indian vegetarian options. Tons of normal curries are vegetarian. Ethiopian food can easily be made vegan. Lots of Italian and Eastern Asian and Middle Eastern and Latin American staples are (or can be made) vegetarian.

This is a good site too: 101cookbooks.com

That said, I'm pretty fond of the buddha bowl and pasta with beans and salad with protein ideas too for no thought ease.

Oh yeah, I have a Sri Lankan and Ethiopian cookbook on my wishlist, from the Lotus and the Artichoke range. Difficult to find out how authentic they are, which is always my issue with cookbooks. I've been to both countries, and I make a rather good doro wat (without egg). And I do cook quite a bit of fairly authentic southern Indian and Sri Lankan food as I spent some time with cooks from that region while working offshore and waiting for my work to continue. Here I don't want a book with British Indian or similar recipes :D thus finding the right one isn't easy. Though to be honest, I love, love, love The Spice Tree. Also still looking for an authentic Italien pastabook. I don't want to make my own pasta (no time or space) but to get good ideas for dishes, order of ingredients and how to treat them, etc.
  • CarolRo1
    CarolRo1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m veggie and got advised by a nutritionist I saw a while ago to add 2-3 forms of protein to my salad at lunchtime to fuel me for the day. Her philosophy was you fuel for your day so larger breakfast and lunch then smaller dinner. So if I make a salad I’ll try to load on protein e.g quinoa and lentils or maybe a cheese or egg.

She also advised that if I have soup to think the same way so for example a lentil soup with a cracker with cheese or a nut butter.

It was a while ago but when I did follow her advise I found I wasn’t hungry later in the day and something like a bowl of soup or scrambled eggs was fine for dinner.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    CarolRo1 wrote: »
    I’m veggie and got advised by a nutritionist I saw a while ago to add 2-3 forms of protein to my salad at lunchtime to fuel me for the day. Her philosophy was you fuel for your day so larger breakfast and lunch then smaller dinner. So if I make a salad I’ll try to load on protein e.g quinoa and lentils or maybe a cheese or egg.

She also advised that if I have soup to think the same way so for example a lentil soup with a cracker with cheese or a nut butter.

It was a while ago but when I did follow her advise I found I wasn’t hungry later in the day and something like a bowl of soup or scrambled eggs was fine for dinner.
    CarolRo1 wrote: »

That won’t work for me. If I don’t have the main meal in the evening I go to bed hungry. Plus, good bread with eg cheese keeps me full at work while something bigger will make me fall into an after dinner dip.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is making your own seitan an option? I know you said you don't want anything that is "trying to imitate meat," but it's been in use since the 6th century by people with a religious/ethical objection to meat and is very high protein. You can make your own, which allows you to add more fat (you can also heat it up in additional fat if that is desired). Depending on your location, the price of making your own is very affordable and it freezes well (so you can make it in batches and just take some out when you're ready to eat it).

I don’t know to be honest. Supermarkets don’t sell it and gluten is not something readily available either. It does sound quite disgusting though. Nothing I’d eat regularly ;) Tempeh is something I should try. I can’t make it, but asia shops well it. Can I eat it? No idea.

My experience and the experience of those I know who've tried it: seitan is nowhere near as gross as it may sound.

That said, since it isn't easily available to you, that's a non-starter.

Where I live, tempeh is sold in rather small portions (8 ounces or so), so getting some and trying it would be a relatively small financial thing. No idea if that is the case where you are. Many people who struggle with digesting some foods do find that tempeh is easier for them to digest, probably due to the fact that tempeh production includes bacteria that help "pre-digest" the soybeans to some degree (I struggled with how to phrase that in the least gross way, but as a yogurt eater I figure you're okay with some live stuff in your food). If you can tolerate tofu, it's also got a fair amount of fat in it.