Want to transition to mainly vegetarian diet

I would like to transition to a mostly vegetarian (or perhaps pescatarian) diet. I am looking for resources on recipes and also tips on making sure that I'm getting enough protein and not eating too many carbs.

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Id start with learning about it and transitioning one to telqo days a week to adjust. Get somevegetarian books you can google em that explain the things you need to know or go to the bookstore
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I like to watch a lot of veggie and vegan "what I eat in a day" videos on YouTube for ideas, and I also spend a lot of time on Pinterest. Over time you'll find the things that appeal to you and are the kind of things you will bother making and enjoying that will become the new staples.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    My library system has hundreds of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks, and perhaps yours does as well.

While I am skeptical of random internet recipes, I do like allrecipes.com because of the reviews. I can get a good sense of if I will like a recipe after reading the reviews. Here is their vegetarian section: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/87/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/

You can subscribe to their newsletter and get recipes mailed to you a few times per week (or the interval may be customizable.)
  • xxxpopeyexxx
    xxxpopeyexxx Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2020
    try salads, smoothies, roasted vegetables, vegan protein shakes, nuts, legumes, and some dairy.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    Once it gets warmer, I find a daily morning green smoothie is a great way to get in a dose of veg AND protein: a handful or two of frozen baby spinach and kale, sliced half banana frozen, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla soy milk.

Also, sheet pan and one pot meals are life savers.

Look into pea protein, extra firm tofu, Amy’s, Quorn. There are lots of meat alternatives out there (and delivery options, as I’m sure you’re aware), but don’t rely on that stuff too much. It can be extremely caloric. I’ve been a vegetarian 4 years now, and bc I’ve never really cooked for myself, I gained a massive amount of weight after making the switch. I’m finally being mindful and even cooking with fresh produce, and it has made all the difference in the world, although frozen and canned are equally healthy.

Good luck, and feel free to add me!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I am not vegetarian but for health reasons am incorporating more plant-based dinners into my diet. I just discovered baked tofu. Yum.
  • csmcozart
    csmcozart Posts: 50 Member
    I'm also transitioning to a whole foods plant based diet. I'm removing processed foods, some of which people have mentioned in this thread. I've been reading and watching documentaries online. Of course, Forks Over Knives was on the top of that list. I've been animal product free for a week and am feeling a lot better.