late night snack

Options
I work for a volunteer ambulance service and sometimes end up on calls late at night or really early in the morning. They usually take about 2 hours and by the time I get home I am starving. I know you're not suppose to eat after a certain time of the night, but I can't go back to sleep without eating something. What would be something good to eat at say 1 or 2am that would not totally undo my entire day?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If you are hungry, EAT.

The whole don't eat after a certain time theory has been shown to not be true for everyone. For me personally, I HAVE to eat before bed or I'll wake up in the middle of the night so hungry that I'll make some horrible food choice. It isn't so much about WHEN you eat, it is WHAT you are eating.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    When I am starving I eat string cheese or some fruit that would be the best I guess, maybe some non salted almond , pistachio.
  • moe1966
    Options
    bananas always work well for me when i can't eat a meal yet or shouldn't eat much
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eating a late night snack isn't actually that bad for you, so don't worry. I would opt for something high in protein that will keep you satisfied. Something like Greek yogurt, a handful of nuts, maybe even some beef jerky. Just a little something to satisfy your appetite that won't provide you with unnecessary carbs or fat, since those are only used for energy and are converted to fat when your body doesn't need to use them.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I eat something small. Like a piece of a fruit. Or sometimes I will make myself a shake.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever eat late night snacks but tonight I was hungry after doing flashcards for hours, so I had a banana. :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat...read up on that myth...it truly does not matter.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want :D
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A raw potato.
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat pistachios or unsalted dry roasted nuts (only about 25 or so). Pistachios are good because once you see the cracked shells you feel as if you've eaten more than you have.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat...read up on that myth...it truly does not matter.
    This.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I would suggest a banana because that is quite heavy on the stomach but not much on calories
  • applechild
    Options
    for me, while veeery hungy, only a piece of fruit doesn't help :(
    I really eat with the eye.. so I prepare a low fat milkshake (1 low fat yogurt, 1 kiwi, a bit of honey and a spoon of cornflakes) total ~ 70 kcal, two slices of low fat ham ~50kcal, a cracker mais bread with cottage cheese and basil ~50kcal and cuccumber in vinegar ~20kcal.. total less than 200kcal.. I don't feel hungry anymore, I feel satisfied, I feel as if I eated a lot and.. sleep better.. and am inside of my kcal that I can consume in a day.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at why you're starving. EMS work is highly emotional and after a call it may just be a response to calming you down or dealing with what you just handled. Drink a few glasses of water, take a walk. Burn off that adrenaline that's still in your system. It's a tough job you do, thanks for doing it. Good luck
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all your good suggestions! I really appreciate the imput.
  • Ken1881
    Options
    Try 100 calorie popcorn as a late night snack, you won't feel as guilty.