Dont appear to actually be loosing any weight! Help!

Options
Hi all,

This is my first proper post here so I'll introduce myself!

My name is Steph and I'm a 23 year old teacher, so naturally spend a majority of the day walking around classrooms, chasing after students etc...

I have previously done the weight watchers diet and lost 2 stone in 6 months which was fantastic! Then, I met my fiance, got comfortable and we BOTH put back on about a stone and a half! Tried doing weight watchers again at Easter, the new pro points plan and it just didn't work, I refused to pay £19.99 a month to loose 0.2lb a week, so I came over to MFP.

I currently weight 10st13lbs and a size 12, but at 5"3 have a slightly high BMI of 27, although I wouldn't describe myself as 'fat' or 'overweight' like my BMI states, simply a little bumpier on the tummy! I am getting married in 7 weeks and am desperate to loose some extra pounds just to look a little trimmer in my wedding dress.

I have been an absolute SAINT over the past 3 weeks, porridge for breakfast, weight watchers soup for lunch and then a nice filling evening meal with my partner. I would say I have been using my 1200 calories a day but have been exercising much more than I usually would (normally I wouldn't). We have been walking for 60mins atleast twice a week, doing 60mins of yoga before bed each night and I have been doing 40-60minutes of zumba about 3 times a week. BUT I HAVEN'T LOST ANY WEIGHT!

I have been fluctuating between my start weight of 10st13lbs and 10st10lbs for 3 weeks. What is wrong with me? Why am I killing myself eating properly and exercising but not loosing weight?

Help?

Thanks for reading that rather long post! Steph xx

Replies

• MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Period. The end. 1200 calories is fine if you are losing by diet alone. But you said you are exercising quite a bit...thus losing quite a bit more calories. You should be eating those calories for the most because if you aren't, you are netting way less than 1200 calories and your body doesn't want to release any of the weight for fear you aren't feeding it enough. So it stores it. Log ALL of your foods and log ALL of your exercise (calories burned). Then eat back most, if not all (I have to eat almost ALL of them back or else I won't lose) of your exercise calories. Get a heart rate monitor to show more accurately how many calories you've burned. Good luck, it works... ;o)
  • Visser1971
    Options
    Hi there,

Here is my view: if you are going to have a larger meal, make it for breakfast. A really small breakfast with low calories for will not set you up for a good day, your body will more likely store the next meal than burn it up during activity; and the same goes for skipping meals - don't :-).

You will have more luck (IMHO) if you have three square meals a day, each about 300 to 400 calories each, and two snacks - one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon. I stick to fruit for the snacks, and make sure each meal has both carbs and protein. This is how people have been eating for hundreds of years, we just seem to have forgotten about it in the last 30 or so :-)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers, Christy
  • madlou
    madlou Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also have the same problem, monitoring everything and not losing weight. In fact I have put on weight.

Everytime I diet and count calories, I always put on weight, its very confusing.

Maybe someone here has the answer

Good luck and keep trying :wink:
  • leannemcc
    Options
    I agree Your not eating enough calories!

I tend to try and go meet my calorie allowance every day, including calories which I have gained from exercising. I have lost 4lbs in the last 4 days by doing from half an hour to 2 hours exercise each day following this rule.

You need to eat more. Even try and get CLOSE to your allowance every day helps! x
  • stephiebriggs
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Period. The end. 1200 calories is fine if you are losing by diet alone. But you said you are exercising quite a bit...thus losing quite a bit more calories. You should be eating those calories for the most because if you aren't, you are netting way less than 1200 calories and your body doesn't want to release any of the weight for fear you aren't feeding it enough. So it stores it. Log ALL of your foods and log ALL of your exercise (calories burned). Then eat back most, if not all (I have to eat almost ALL of them back or else I won't lose) of your exercise calories. Get a heart rate monitor to show more accurately how many calories you've burned. Good luck, it works... ;o)

Well, I have to say I never though eating too little would be my diet problem! But what you are saying makes total sense, so I will try and eat back all of the calories I burn. Thank you!
    Hi there,

Here is my view: if you are going to have a larger meal, make it for breakfast. A really small breakfast with low calories for will not set you up for a good day, your body will more likely store the next meal than burn it up during activity; and the same goes for skipping meals - don't :-).

You will have more luck (IMHO) if you have three square meals a day, each about 300 to 400 calories each, and two snacks - one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon. I stick to fruit for the snacks, and make sure each meal has both carbs and protein. This is how people have been eating for hundreds of years, we just seem to have forgotten about it in the last 30 or so :-)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers, Christy

I used to be terrible for skipping meals, but I am happy to say I have cut that habit straight out so that is a good start! I will definitely try eating more for breakfast, I do probably need it more at lunch time whilst I'm running around at work rather than having the bulk of my calories when I get home in the evening.

So from today, I am going to eat the calories I have burnt, and will try to spread calories out more evenly and let you know how I get on.

Thank you :) x
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    As a PP said, you're not eating enough. You need to put your weight and everything into MFP and let it calculate a deficit for you (which will probably be higher than 1200 cals / day) and then you need to eat more on days you exercise. I go by the estimated cals burned on the site when I input my exercise, but many use heart rate monitors.
  • Anick29
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your body is starving therefore holding on to any fat it can to survive. Eat 6 to 7 times a day. Small meals and healthy snacks.

One of my favorite snacks is Kale chips. It's super healthy, gets my salt craving the attention it needs and fills and fuels me.

Google Kale chips recipies. Super easy.

Another good breakfast in Greek yogurt with muesli.

The top 4 belly fat fighting foods; Eggs, avocado, cinnamon and 85% or more cocoa dark chocolate. The eggs and avocado keep you satisfied. The dark chocolate your sugar craving and cinnamon makes everthing taste good!

P.S: I own two gyms, am personal trainer, yoga teacher and fitness instructor. I tell all my clients about this site and the main thing I see is woman who do not eat enough and exercise tons. Trust me - eat a bit more and your body will start to understand and stop thinking you are starving it...good luck! Congrats on the wedding!!!
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

She's absolutely right. If you don't eat the calories you burn, your body goes into starvation mode and you will not lose weight!!!

Also, it could very well be that you are losing inches, not weight. The fact remains that you could be losing fat, but gaining muscle-- which isn't a bad thing at all when you think about it, so don't get upset with yourself. Continue making good food choices, but again, EAT the calories you burn!!!
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Verify that your lifestyle on your profile is listed as active. If you are logging everything you eat along with your "exercise" calories which includes walking you must not be eating enough calories.

When you submit your totals for dinner does the little message come up in your diary that you are not eating enough calories and could go into starvation mode? If so eat something healthy like almonds or an apple to get the extra calories.

If you do not eat enough then your body might be in starvation mode causing you not to loose weight.

By the way, this is not a diet, this is lifestyle change to change your eating habits so you do not gain weight after you take it off.

If you are treating this like a diet, then you will loose the weight only to put it back on later.

Hope you wanted honesty :flowerforyou: Claire
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Heres my 2 cents: start weighing and measuring your food.. You didnt sound like you had been counting calories just sort of guessing. Its surprising how many calories things have and how when we dont measure or weigh we think things are smaller than what they are. You may be actually having a lot more calories.
    Are you drinking 8-10 glasses of PLAIN water every day? This will help flush out the extra sodium youre probably getting and also help you feel full.
    If you use this site religiously you will lose the weight you are trying to lose. Dont be in a hurry and dont cheat on the weights and measurements.
    Experts say that we underestimate our calories by 40% and over estimate or exercise burned calories by 20% Thats a 60% swing which can definitely hinder weight loss.

This is a great place to start your journey! Read the message boards and research what works for other people. You will have to find what works for you.

GOOD LUCK!! YOU CAN DO IT!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You don't have sodium showing in your diary but, I'm guessing it's pretty high. Eat more but, try to eat clean as well. MFP gives 2500/day for sodium. IMO that's TOO much. I try to stay under 1800 and when that's not possible I use 2500 as the absolute ceiling.

Good luck in your journey!
  • stephiebriggs
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied! I know understand I need to be eating what I am burning off, and will definitely do this from now on!

Claire- I completely understand that this is more than a diet and I did make the decision to change my lifestyle when I started this, so referring to it as a diet was a mistake on my part, I generally just want to be healthy again and loose a little weight along the way :smile: Thank you for the food tips by the way, I LOVE really high cocoa dark chocolate and cinnamon so would love any excuse to incorporate them into my diet more often. If I do get the little message saying I'm not eating enough I do find more food to add to my lunch/evening meal and bulk out with vegetables, but I am guilty of maybe burning 600 calories and still having 400 of those left over at the end of the day.

Velvetkat - I do measure all of my food. It's a bit of a running joke now at work that I have my own scales in the staff kitchen, and my partner is going a little bit mad watching me measure out everything that goes into our meals, but he's starting to loose more weight than me! The swine! :laugh: By the way, Wow 86lbs lost! Thats amazing!

Thank you again for all your replies, I will be good from now on, scouts honour :flowerforyou:
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump