How many calories should you eat while pregnant?

Options
I’m not pregnant atm I was just wondering. I currently eat 1200 calories a day however sometimes I do exercise which means I can eat more calories so occasionally I can eat up to 1500 or more. I plan to do this long term and I was wondering if I Happened to get pregnant would sticking to 1200 calorie a day diet be suitable or should you be eating more.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    1200 is the minimum you should be eating, assuming you are living a sedentary lifestyle and elderly. If you are trying to get pregnant, or plan to start trying talk to your doctor, about what is best for you.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    1200 is the minimum you should be eating, assuming you are living a sedentary lifestyle and elderly. If you are trying to get pregnant, or plan to start trying talk to your doctor, about what is best for you.

Short/petite sedentary can do 1200. You don’t have to be elderly 👍 I’m 5’1-5’3 depending on which dr offfice I’m being measured in (🙄). Because I work from home and have a desk job I get <3000 steps per day unless I put extra effort in. Currently at 122 so if I eat over 1200 I’m either maintaining or gaining. The only way I can eat more and not gain is to move more.

I’d think you need a little more calories while pregnant but I’d check with your dr to be sure.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    MrsDan1667 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

Short/petite sedentary can do 1200. You don’t have to be elderly 👍 I’m 5’1-5’3 depending on which dr offfice I’m being measured in (🙄). Because I work from home and have a desk job I get <3000 steps per day unless I put extra effort in. Currently at 122 so if I eat over 1200 I’m either maintaining or gaining. The only way I can eat more and not gain is to move more.

I’d think you need a little more calories while pregnant but I’d check with your dr to be sure.

Thank you. I should have been more clear.
  • janetm67
    janetm67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Many many years ago I had a major surprise pregnancy. Had unexplainable weight gain and went on a 1200 calorie a day diet for a time before figuring out what was going on. I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby but let me tell you I was RAVENOUSLY hungry being pregnant and having 1200 calories a day so totally would NOT advise it.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i have no idea but i dont think you should go on strict diet (1200 calorie) while pregnant
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    From my own research, you need zero extra calories during the first trimester. 100-200 extra on top of maintenance for second trimester, and 300-400 extra during the third trimester.
    I would definitely talk to your doctor if you DO become pregnant, though. They would best be able to help you.
    I'm in my 2nd trimester and I've been following the above and I haven't been overly hungry. My midwife is happy with my weight gain trend.