Coffee makes my workouts easier. Is this bad?

Options
I'm a coffee drinker and I ride my bike a lot. I find on those mornings when I've already had a cup of coffee I tend to ride a little faster and the workout seems easier. That's logical, caffeine is a stimulant. I'm just curious to know if there are any thoughts on whether this is good for you/bad for you, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• routerguy666
    Options
    I read a study, which I can not find now, that said caffeine had some positive effect on carb utilization. I think it was in pretty large doses though.

edit: Here, they reference some of the studies in this article: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/article058.htm
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Lifters use pre-workout stimulants like Jack3d so why not a cuppa joe?
  • brvanover
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that as long as you're not loading it with tons of sugar and creamer than it's good for you!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Coffee also contains antioxidants and has been shown to be beneficial at 1-2 cups a day :D
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They put caffeine in a lot of endurance fuel-type foods - Gu, sport beans, clif bloks, for instance. It's been shown that caffeine can improve performance and reduce fatigue in endurance sports. If you google caffeine, sports, you'll find there are many articles written on this subject.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Nope, that's not bad. But it will decrease your overall hydration a bit, so just drink an extra 8-16oz of water to cover it!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Heard on one of Jillian Michaels' pod casts where she actually recommends it (or at least said it wasn't a bad thing - I can't remember which - in my mind it was recommended since I do it too :) )
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I read coffee is good for you as long as it's not loaded with a lot of sugar. I need my coffee in the morning to keep up with my 3 kids.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If morning coffee is wrong, I don't wanna be right ;)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Nope!! As long as you watch your water intake, you will be fine.

Coffee is a gift from the gods. We should not be ashamed to embrace it...... :happy:
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    On an episode of The Doctors they said that it can decrease post workout soreness as well!
  • emmahaines1
    Options
    my brother is a fitness freak, he always has a black coffee or green tea before he does exercise, he says it helps you to release energy slower so your work out can last longer and be more effective.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback, gang. Looks like I'll keep on keepin' on with the cup o'joe!

Garrett
  • jmontes143
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning before my workout too because it gives me a boost of energy! It works great, I love it! As long as you aren't drinking excessive amounts of it throughout the day I'm pretty sure it's ok. Everything in moderation right? :)