C25K question.

Options
I've recently switched from doing the 30DS to C25K because I enjoy running/jogging MUCH more than I enjoy Jillian Michaels. For anyone that is doing it or anyone that has completed it, what kind of results are you seeing? Did you lose weight? How much? How far can you run now? I really love to run so I'm excited to keep up with the program. I just want to make sure it's going to give the results it says it will as long as I stick with it.

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Completed it last week and started this week, I've lost tons of weight but didn't track how much since I started C25K. The weight loss journey is a mix of exercise and nutrition so I wouldn't place it all on C25K anyways.

I've since started the Bridge to 10k program and yesterday I ran for about 55 minutes, not straight but with small stops in between.

C25K is a great program and it will have you running 5K in no time guaranteed.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5, got my shoes and HRM on now to get busy on day 2 in a few here. It definitely gets you in shape, hard to say how much weight loss it's caused since I started both eating and exercise fairly close together, but my overall loss is 15lbs since 7/5/11. Today involves me running 8 min twice with 5 min of walking between them, gonna be tough I'm sure...but then the one after this is 20 min straight! :noway:
  • cherylwimmers
    cherylwimmers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started that program in January 2010 and in January 2011 I ran a half marathon. I live how it takes care od some of my trouble areas. Unfortunately I did stop running for a while but I'm back at it. Ran 5k today and will be back up to 10k in no time again. I love running, it is great alone time.

If you are interested in getting past 5k I recommend either learning more about running from other runners or take a run clinic from you local running store. That is what I did. Enjoy, keep it up, it is a great way to stay in shape.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think C25K directly made me loose any weight. I have tons of stamina now, feel better and want to eat right/less. All those things made me loose weight.

I can run at least 7.5km now. I have a jogging stroller to lug around, That is a lot of resistance.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Haven't really lost a lot of weight-maybe about 4 lbs. Then again, I'm in my "healthy range" and I'm probably not gonna be able to lose more than 10 lbs at this point.
    Anyway, I completed the C25K in July.. and now I'm training for a half marathon! IT'S IN TWO WEEKS! (sorry for the caps.. I'm super nervous!)

That program is really what got me going. When I started, running for 90 seconds was incredibly difficult. My longest run so far NOW has been 7.25 miles :)
    My best advice-get a good pair of running shoes, and start off SLOW. I'm super competitive (more with myself than with others) so I always wanted to go fast just cause it feels so awesome. But, I finally slowed it down and started to concentrate more on my form, and found I could go much longer by doing that. I run at about a 11:30 pace. Sometimes 10:00. Depends on the day/distance. I've also done short runs at about 9:20. But for my long runs I try to keep it at about 11 min/mile. :)

Good luck and stick to it! If you want, you can still supplement running with the 30DS. I supplement mine with riding as of right now. I was doing other things, but I ended up burning myself out.
    When you run your first 5k, you're going to feel amazing!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And I'm not relying on this to lose weight, it's more about stamina and keeping in shape. On the days off I still plan on doing my exercises. I just love to run. It's so...freeing, I guess. Gives me time to think about life, or just space if I wanna. Anyway, glad to see there was a lot of progress with this. :) Did anyone have to repeat days/weeks?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Haven't really lost a lot of weight-maybe about 4 lbs. Then again, I'm in my "healthy range" and I'm probably not gonna be able to lose more than 10 lbs at this point.
    Anyway, I completed the C25K in July.. and now I'm training for a half marathon! IT'S IN TWO WEEKS! (sorry for the caps.. I'm super nervous!)

That program is really what got me going. When I started, running for 90 seconds was incredibly difficult. My longest run so far NOW has been 7.25 miles :)
    My best advice-get a good pair of running shoes, and start off SLOW. I'm super competitive (more with myself than with others) so I always wanted to go fast just cause it feels so awesome. But, I finally slowed it down and started to concentrate more on my form, and found I could go much longer by doing that. I run at about a 11:30 pace. Sometimes 10:00. Depends on the day/distance. I've also done short runs at about 9:20. But for my long runs I try to keep it at about 11 min/mile. :)

Good luck and stick to it! If you want, you can still supplement running with the 30DS. I supplement mine with riding as of right now. I was doing other things, but I ended up burning myself out.
    When you run your first 5k, you're going to feel amazing!

I luckily bought really good running shoes before I ever planned on doing this, because they double as toning shoes. And trust me, I take it sloooooow. Haha. I definitely am going to supplement it with other things, just not the 30DS. It's just...not for me lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    So far I've not had to repeat anything.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And I'm not relying on this to lose weight, it's more about stamina and keeping in shape. On the days off I still plan on doing my exercises. I just love to run. It's so...freeing, I guess. Gives me time to think about life, or just space if I wanna. Anyway, glad to see there was a lot of progress with this. :) Did anyone have to repeat days/weeks?

I had to repeat a lot! I had a stroke about 6 months before I started c25k, and was entirely paralyzed, so I was more "hospital bed 2 5k!" But, I did it and ran my first ever 5k 10 months to the day after my stroke. It took me 4 months to do it, rather than the 9 weeks it "should" take. I recommend just doing each day until you can do it easily. Some days went great, others didn't! I think it took me 3 or 4 tries to get that first 20 minute run down!

Good luck, and have fun with it!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6. So far, it's been good and I haven't had to repeat any weeks. My first 5k is October 15th!! :-)
    And I've lost about 10 lbs since starting C25K - but I feel much more fit and have much more stamina.
  • KStephanie
    Options
    I've only lost about 5-6lbs, but that's all been in the last month or so once I started on mfp. The key is to change your diet as well. I run 5k about 3-4 times per week now, taking about 35-38 minutes. I'm hoping to get down to 30 minutes and then start the bridge to 10k. I think it's a really great program
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday... I am super excited to build up stamina...and jogging has always helped me loose weight in the past. Any tips would be appreciated.

Laura
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I made it to week 5 before I just started doing my own thing, but I'm a big fan of it. I HATED running, but it helped me to love it. Now I run 3-4 times a week for 2-3 miles. I can run for over 20 minutes straight, and I have lost 5lbs and inches off my thighs, hips, and waist. Good luck!
  • Nette2172
    Nette2172 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a week and a half ago. I got my first day done and then got a horrible cold the next day. I just repeated my first day today. I feel energized and can't wait to build stamina.
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I started C25K at the end of June (literally couldn't jog to the end of my street) This morning I finished my second 5K run. As you will see from all the messages, it is a great program. Just realize that it's NOT about how fast you run, it's about finishing. After a few 5k runs, then you can look at improving your time.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of August (when I joined MFP).
    I've lost 14lbs so far as part of eating better and C25K for exercise.
    I just finished Week5 Day2 and have not had to repeat anything YET!. W5D3 is a 20 minute run and I'm hoping to CRUSH IT!