Tips for people working from home for first time.

Options
Ideally you would have a work space that is used only for working. That is harder to accomplish in a home so do the best you can. Be careful about working from a table. They are not normally at the correct height to type on a computer comfortably for extended periods.

Keep regular hours, take breaks and lunch at specific times. Initially I used a system of two 15 minute breaks and 30 minutes for lunch instead of an hour lunch. Nowadays they recommend just getting up once an hour and moving for a bit. Either way try not to sit for too long in the same space. Going a bit stir crazy is a possibility.

Try to have control over the space. Children and pets may produce unwanted noise and distraction.

Get dressed for work. I know you want to work from your pajamas but I remember transitioning from an office to home and this trick helped me for the first few weeks. So did leaving the house. During my first month or so I would leave the house before work to go get a coffee somewhere and then return. Going to a public place for a coffee is not a good idea but perhaps going for a short walk if the weather is nice enough.

Make your lunch and any snacks you will eat while working in the morning like you normally would. Keep the kitchen closed except to reheat (if necessary) what you have prepared and beverages. When you do need something like a beverage get in and get out as fast as you can.

Some of these tricks are not as important if you transition very fast but do not underestimate how much you associate habits with locations. This can be especially important if your job requires a high level of productivity.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful - thank you.

I took a walk today over lunch -- it really restored my mood and focus.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I found this info on line and I hope that it's helpful

How to work from home without losing your sanity

Haven't gotten the hang of it yet? Home office pros know practices like setting boundaries, structuring time and forcing social interaction (even if it's just online) go a long way toward building a productive day.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/success/work-from-home-tips/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=0d65025983-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_17_01_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-0d65025983-93347433
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

This is a regular tool in my belt. I, in fact, just got back from a 10 minute half mile walk that I take a couple of times a week when I need to shake the yawns/droopiness. There are times I only have time for a quarter mile but moving around for even that 5 minutes does wonders for me. Without the dog I fit more distance but I am afraid he would burn the house down if I tried to leave without him.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to avoid distractions and focus on the work? It's the first time I have to work from home. Even when I study I head to the library to avoid being distracted.

Theoretically I know it's not much different from any regular working situation, but I can't seem to get my mind to focus on the work at hand.

Moving my workspace to another location is not an option either.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to avoid distractions and focus on the work? It's the first time I have to work from home. Even when I study I head to the library to avoid being distracted.

Theoretically I know it's not much different from any regular working situation, but I can't seem to get my mind to focus on the work at hand.

Moving my workspace to another location is not an option either.

Are you distracted by your surrounding or distracted by people and/or pets making noise?

If it is just having a hard time "getting into" your work you might want to try an intermediary activity first. Perhaps reading an article about the work you do or doing some sort of brain exercise.

If you cannot move where you work can you move decorative objects away from it? You might try making the area more sterile while in work mode.

You may also find that you have specific times of greater focus/productivity. I hit my stride mid morning so I plan accordingly.

Background noise like a TV or music can be helpful for some and hurtful for others.

Minimize the amount of other choices you need to make. Try to plan what you will eat and wear the evening before. If you are having a hard time focusing you need to be on autopilot as much as possible.

What is the nature of your work?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Oh, yes, one of the things I love about working from home is that it is much easier to get in my lunch time exercise. When I get this, I'm more productive in the afternoons, and less prone to the munchies.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I've worked one day a week from home since 2012, and like working in my pyjamas and not bothering to wash my hair. My home is child and pet free. If you get distracted by unfinished housework, find somewhere to work where you don't see the mess. This is the first time I work from home for an extended period and when the whole team is at home. My tips would be:

Get your manager to schedule a quick daily conference call with your team so you still feel like a team and bottlenecks and problems get escalated in a timely manner.

Consider getting an extra monitor if you are used to having multiple screens in the office.

Take advantage of the time flexibility to get to the gym when it's empty. Also advantageous for social distancing.

A good pair of earphones makes dial in meetings run smoother.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I’ve been working from home for years. I like it but I think I am a bit of a loner oddball.

I use my dining table as a work desk. It gets used for family meals in the evening. I put the work Lap top away every night so the room feels different in the evening. Living in London I just don’t have the luxury of a spare room to work in.

I make sure I move around all the time. Up and down the stairs. Fidget a lot. Do small house jobs. I’m still thinking about work while fidgeting and moving. ( my job involves a lot of thinking) I think I have high NEAT and that helps with weight maintenance because I am a bit of a grazer. I limit treat foods that I keep in the house.

Overalll I’m more productive than if I was in an office because I’m not distracted by colleagues.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I've been working from home 1 day/week for some years, now it is full time.
    Since the beginning I've handled my homework in the same routine as I would work. I also take my breaks at the same time.
    My biggest hurdle is : THE KITCHEN! It is really hard not to throw something together or grab a snack and now in times of anxiety the urge is even more present.
    One thing I've decided with my colleagues now is to check in unformally with a good morning and some pics in a whatsapp group to keep in touch with eachother. Nothing workrelated, just chit chat.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @ladyreva78 That sounds so frustrating!

Can you lock your door? Or do you have to work in a common area of the house? If you can separate yourself I’d try telling them “I’m going to work for x hours. This is important to me. I will not answer the door during this time.” And then put in some headphones. I might even go so far as to give them a schedule that tells them when you are available for household chores.

Our challenge right now is that my older daughter is home from college. My husband was using her room as an office and now can’t so he’s using my office. But that means I have to squeeze my office work in between his work calls. Sharing is hard

As for general tips, I find setting timers to be very helpful. Especially when it comes to breaks. It’s very easy to let a 10minute break turn into an hour watching tv, reading, or on my phone if I don’t have that timer breaking in.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @ladyreva78, does your workplace place have work-at-home guidelines, a list of expectations, or a contract you had to sign if you work at home? If so, maybe you could show your parents the "official paperwork."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That is not how you tie people/kids up.

Don't ask me how I know that.

Hands definitely behind the back, or they'll get free! :laugh:
    Disclaimer: I'm just kidding. Don't abuse your kids.