Can I safely eat yogurt a month past its "best buy" date?

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
Not in a position to be wasting food, but I really don't want to make myself sick. 😮

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Smell test. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Thank you! It seems to be okay, but since it's sour anyway, I wasn't quite sure. 💕
  • PKM0515
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Thank you! It seems to be okay, but since it's sour anyway, I wasn't quite sure. 💕

Supposed to be sour, not bitter :)
    When milk goes sour, its gone bad :)

Thanks!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Smell test... If it doesn't smell like yogurt, don't eat it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the plainer the yogurt, the longer it lasts. I have certainly eaten plain yogurt a month past the sell by date. I sniffed and tasted it first.

I've tossed fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt that was past its date and just didn't look right.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In my experience, the plainer the yogurt, the longer it lasts. I have certainly eaten plain yogurt a month past the sell by date. I sniffed and tasted it first.

I've tossed fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt that was past its date and just didn't look right.

I would imagine that stems from having a higher sugar content and therefore a more habitable environment for bacteria growth.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I've already eaten yogurts a year past the 'best by date'. Granna had a tendency to forget things in the back of her fridge, but couldn't bear to throw perfectly good food away. I tend to agree with her on that. They were still perfectly good.

As long as there is no visible change in the consistency and smell, no moldy growths, it's perfectly good to eat.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    The "best before" is simply the product looks best on the shelf before that date. It's purely a guide. MOST food items are perfectly fine to use Long after the best before. Months is not unusual. I have pesto in my fridge that was 3 months after its BB date, and it was perfectly fine, being soaked in oil is an excellent preservative.

So yep, sniff test all the way. And enjoy.
  • francinefig
    francinefig Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOL. I feel like yogurt past its expiration date would by nature just be more "yogurty" and just fine to eat. I totally would! That said, please listen more to the advice of those posting before me. :)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I have eaten things well beyond the "best by" or expiration date to include dairy and I have never once had an issue. I do have a stomach of steel, though. I hope you do enjoy your jogurt or did enjoy it :).
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    smell, look and feel test. I try to eat yogurts no longer past a week of BB date. but that's me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sure. It might be a bit more separated than usual but that’s about it. These are “best by” not “sickness inducing” dates.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I've already eaten yogurts a year past the 'best by date'. Granna had a tendency to forget things in the back of her fridge, but couldn't bear to throw perfectly good food away. I tend to agree with her on that. They were still perfectly good.

As long as there is no visible change in the consistency and smell, no moldy growths, it's perfectly good to eat.

There is no way dairy is good a year past the date. Not unless it was frozen for the year.

It tasted fine and was a year out of date. I guess I should have taken pictures as proof.

It was still properly sealed, but don't think it was frozen, unless the back of the fridge had a micro climate with sub 0 temperature...

*shrugs*
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    best buy date is just the date that 1 out of 10 ppl that sampled said it was not quite right