Should I be running?

Options
Or building up to running I should say. I have been walking lately and I’ve been getting this urge to run. I can walk atleast 10,000 steps at one time no problem(I don’t cause it gets too boring). I wouldn’t ask but the issue is I am really heavy 282 pounds to be exact. I don’t know if I should. I am scared to do some damage which might cause me to stay off my feet. Not only with that hurt my weight loss but also I am a woodworker and I need to be on my feet.

Replies

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    That is a question that is hard to answer. I have always been a runner, very casual runner. As I started my MFP weight loss journey, I added more running, 3-4 days a week, very slow pace. I love the outdoors. I hate gyms. Even in my hot part of the country. I started adding some distance in the last 2 months. Signed up for a 10K to see if I could work on my pace. Then I started having hip pain. Thought it was my hip flexors/glutes tightness. I ended up having a stress fracture in my femur. Granted I have the beginnings of bone density issues as a female but I have been told that running is really hard on the body - joints and all. I can't run or walk for exercise for 10 weeks and told to find another sport if at all possible. Obviously, this is not you. But I would go slow, maybe on a treadmill where you can vary your speed easily. Run/walk for awhile and see how you feel. Get some good shoes too. But ultimately, listen to your body and protect your feet for your job. Maybe consult with a doctor to be safe too. Good luck!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something like couch to 5K where you build up really gradually and make sure to pay attention to how you feel.

I started running again when I was quite heavy, but I'd been a runner in the past. I did end up taking it slow with respect to building distance simply because I started in a particularly cold and snowy January and February and so was stuck on the treadmill where I get bored easily.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you want to. Running is not necessary. I like the C25K program if you want to work up to running. Key is to take is slow. Your body needs to build up to it.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Jogging is a lot more force than walking, even if you are going slowly. I'd strongly recommend talking to your doctor first.

If you do get the go ahead, be prepared to take it VERY slowly. As a rule of thumb, never add more than 10% of your distance (and effort) per week. And underestimate what you can do at first. In your situation, you will always want to stop before you think you should. And wait 2-3 days after your first efforts, to see how sore you really are. That will give some idea of whether you judged right or overdid it. A little soreness is to be expected if you haven't done it before, but a lot, or actual pain, means you need to stop, recover fully, and try no more than half of what you did the next time.

I had a winter where I really slacked, and went back in the spring without taking enough time to build back up (I'm a lifelong jogger, 45+ years, through thin and fat). I ignored my own knowledge and have had trouble ever since, especially with a knee I injured (fell when walking, of all things).

Don't feel bad if you only jog 10 paces (for example) your first time out. Just give that first time a few days to see how you feel, and go from there. If you aren't too sore, start at 10 paces (or seconds), 3x/week for a week.

Or try 50 seconds/paces--again, after that first time, you really need to wait a few days to see if it was too much.

I know a lot of folks recommend C25K, but my personal experience tells me that is too much for really heavy folks if they are older and/or have never jogged. It's fine once you get up to the distance and time required in the first week of the program--a really good one. But getting fit enough for that first week is a real challenge for some, and the only way is to start super slowly.

Good luck, whatever you decide to try.
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I’ve never run before always been on the heavy side and always leaned towards weight lifting and when I wanted to do some cardio all I did was biking. And to be honest I feel like I would hurt myself if I did start running. I know it’s silly thing to say especially since I’ve never really been a runner so I wouldn’t really know if I actually will. I think I am gonna go really slow and try really short distances and see how I feel.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I didn't start running until after I met my original weight loss goal. But I also didn't start feeling the urge to run before that either. I started out walking and when I did get the urge to add some running in I used a couch to 5K app and fell in love with running. IMO it is a good idea to work up to being able to walk at least 5 miles or so before you start running and it would probably be a good idea to talk to your doctor first. And if you do decide to start running then remember to start slow and work up to it. And if you don't like running then there is no reason that you need to run if you don't want to.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Just to add, you may want to vary your terrain (for outdoor runs) so that you're NOT running on sidewalks or concrete. Try a softer surface like a dedicated outdoor track or a sports field. It'll be easier on your knees.

And if you're running on the treadmill, never put it at 0% incline. Even 0.5% (the next increment up), is better for your knees according to my podiatrist.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Also, before you start running (if you decide to), make sure you have shoes that are made for the task. Proper shoes are important for runners of all sizes and speeds. A speciality running store can watch you run for a brief period and use your gait to match you to a shoe that will offer the right support.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    The more pertinent question isn't should you run but rather
    a) Can you run
    b) Do you want to run

By can you run I mean can you safely do the running or jogging action safely? I'm not talking about sprinting or even running fast but are you able to at least shuffle your feet in a jogging action and not feel like you're about to hurt yourself? Can you do it and feel comfortable and confident in the motion

And the most important question is do you want to run. I know you said you've been getting the urge to run but by that do you mean getting the urge because you feel like you should be running or because you feel like you'd really like to break out into a run?

If you can, and if it's the former then go for it! Next time you go for a walk and the urge takes you then break out into a jog. Jog for a couple of steps, jog for a few seconds, jog for a few minutes.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you want to run do it, if it's more of a case you feel like you should, then look carefully. I loved running, it was a real head clearer, I was never fast or particularly great, but I enjoyed it. Now I can't run and I miss it. But means I get to explore other options. I found the couch to programmes useful. Especially for a starting point. Good shoes are a must and it is hard to begin with, even if you walk a lot. Though I feel it's worth it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could force me to run anymore. I get plenty of cardio; just none from running.