Standing at work

Options
I started a new job this week and have been feeling the need to eat the house down.

I am currently working 8-5 and only off of my feet for the hour I am on lunch which I remove my shoes since my feet are not used to this kind of treatment. Walking for long periods is okay...but standing that long kills them.

What I am wondering is if anyone has any ideas for me. I found online that standing burns a load of calories, for my weight for 8 hours its just over 900. I don't consider this cardio in the least bit but a large amount of calories burnt like that probably needs to be accounted for. I have found I can't do much more than walk a little before or after my shift but I don't find it enough. My feet hurt sooo bad afterwards that I can't even imagine taking a run.

Also... any ideas for shoes for those who have jobs like this? I have worn regular flats (those were the worst), flat dress shoes with alot of extra support (not as bad but still dying at the end of the day) and finally yesterday as it was dress down I got to wear my runners (still sucked.....). Is there something better I can wear? Keeping in mind they must be close toed shoes due to my work.

Replies

• iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    900 an hour?! Surely not?! I'm on my feet all day at work - and in my lunchtime I walk 3-4 miles briskly.......I sit only for the 10 minutes it takes to eat my lunch - and that's on the days I manage to find time lol
    I usually wear walking boots/shoes to work, and have no discomfort whatsoever, but that may not suit your trade / uniform x
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You could try something like the Sketchers Tone ups...they have loads of cushioning and because of their shape they keep the sole of your foot stretched out yet supported. I have one of the knock off brands and love them...I used to get terrible cramps in my feet and now nothing...no pain... although when I first got them I had trouble with the ankle I had twisted 3 years ago. The shoes were forcing my feet and ankles into alignment and so they complained. I hope this helps.
  • Ummm, she said 900 for the entire 8 hours!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    900 an hour?! Surely not?! I'm on my feet all day at work - and in my lunchtime I walk 3-4 miles briskly.......I sit only for the 10 minutes it takes to eat my lunch - and that's on the days I manage to find time lol
    I usually wear walking boots/shoes to work, and have no discomfort whatsoever, but that may not suit your trade / uniform x

No... not for an hour... for 8 hours.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    You could try something like the Sketchers Tone ups...they have loads of cushioning and because of their shape they keep the sole of your foot stretched out yet supported. I have one of the knock off brands and love them...I used to get terrible cramps in my feet and now nothing...no pain... although when I first got them I had trouble with the ankle I had twisted 3 years ago. The shoes were forcing my feet and ankles into alignment and so they complained. I hope this helps.

That may be an option. They would hav to be pure black and not look like runners with a quick look lol. I used to have a pair and they were really comfy so I think I will look into that idea.
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    I started standing at work about three months ago because I had read so much about how beneficial it was. The first week was really hard in that I got very sore legs and feet, even though I am able to wear casual shoes and I stand on an anti-fatigue mat. However, I have gotten used to now, and I don't feel any discomfort anymore. If you're in a situation in which you can use a mat, I'd highly recommend one. I think any kind of shoe that you're comfortable walking in should work. I find that even though I'm standing in one place all day, I shift my weight around quite a bit. I often rest one foot at a time on the lowest rung of the stool I no longer sit on (it's still good for something!); maybe something like that would help.
  • violetfire80
    Options
    hmm I work 13 hour night shifts at a hospital and I am on my feet standing/running around etc for all but the 30 mins (or 1 hour if I'm lucky) of my break. I often found my feet in extream pain by home time, I tried every kind of shoe/trainer etc but then I got some crocs and now I have no pain at all. Mine are just basic crocs but they do some lovely smart shoe styles now as well :)
  • Valtishia
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone.
  • LainerX
    LainerX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Physcians/nurses swear by dansko clogs (the original ones). I've also seen chefs wearing them, too. I have worn them for 20 years and they are the only shoe I'll consider for work. They are leather and fit in with both scrubs and business casual attire. Not cheap, but I've had a pair last more than 10 years!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    hmm I work 13 hour night shifts at a hospital and I am on my feet standing/running around etc for all but the 30 mins (or 1 hour if I'm lucky) of my break. I often found my feet in extream pain by home time, I tried every kind of shoe/trainer etc but then I got some crocs and now I have no pain at all. Mine are just basic crocs but they do some lovely smart shoe styles now as well :)

I was going to suggest Croc's too, those are awesome. nice and comfy. Heck, Doctors and Nurses wear them (or similar ones) all day too, and they seem happy. :)
  • luckiest05
    Options
    I'm a dental assistant & i swear by Nike Air or New Balance shoes. I like those because they fit my feet like a glove and my feet aren't sore after a shift.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I'm either standing or walking for the majority of the day (8+ hrs.). You mentioned wearing flats, so I thought about the pair I got a while back from DSW I think. They are made by Dr. Scholls, so they have arch support, but they are still really cute. I was thrilled when I found them :) Good luck!
  • Valtishia
    Options
    Physcians/nurses swear by dansko clogs (the original ones). I've also seen chefs wearing them, too. I have worn them for 20 years and they are the only shoe I'll consider for work. They are leather and fit in with both scrubs and business casual attire. Not cheap, but I've had a pair last more than 10 years!

I found a retailer that sells that brand here so I will go check it out and see if they have those.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    it will get easier as you start working there longer. i wear gym shoes to work and the first week was still killer on my feet but after about 3 weeks my feet and legs stopped bothering me and now it doesn't matter what i wear. i didn't know we burned 900 calories though, that's pretty cool. to account for your workday, just go into your 'goals' profile and make your lifestyle 'active' and it will factor in your caloric burn from your everyday activities not counting your workout
  • Valtishia
    Options
    it will get easier as you start working there longer. i wear gym shoes to work and the first week was still killer on my feet but after about 3 weeks my feet and legs stopped bothering me and now it doesn't matter what i wear. i didn't know we burned 900 calories though, that's pretty cool. to account for your workday, just go into your 'goals' profile and make your lifestyle 'active' and it will factor in your caloric burn from your everyday activities not counting your workout

I sure hope you are right about my feet getting used to it. Hmm... maybe I will take a look at changing my lifestyle type for calories.

Thanks

**I just changed it to active... and it only gave me an extra 30 calories to eat?? I doubt I could eat an extra 900 calories above my 1200 but I think it should be more than 30 when the 1200 has already created a deficit........
  • sasy_sfinx
    Options
    in my old job i was always on my feet. sounds odd but shoes with a slight heel (bout an inch) are actually better for your legs because it relaxes your calf muscles slightly, if you wear flats all day your calves are constantly stretched.
    crocs do some nice work shoes with a bit of an incline too.

i live by the rule you should always have a good bed and good shoes - if you're not in one you will be in the other! :)
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I'm a tit - sorry I misread lol
    Hope you find the solution for you x