Getting enough protein

Options
Help! I am hitting my daily goal calorie although I’m not hitting my daily protein goal...
And if I found my self intaking more carbs than protist 😫

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What higher protein foods are you eating? Can you increase the serving size of those foods and decrease the serving size of the higher carbohydrate foods?
  • conimae
    conimae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem getting enough protein in. I am not much if a meat eater. I can tolerate eggs. I can only eat so much Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Love nuts but they are high in calories and fats.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    conimae wrote: »
    I have the same problem getting enough protein in. I am not much if a meat eater. I can tolerate eggs. I can only eat so much Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Love nuts but they are high in calories and fats.

If you don't like meat, beans are another good way to get protein. Also, have you tried tempeh, tofu, and seitan? They're all high protein.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hard Boiled Eggs are like the perfect food. Don't worry about the cholesterol. It's the good kind.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

This^^ And it doesn't just have to just be shakes with protein powder. I make "chocolate mousse" with greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder. I add banana and nuts to it. Very yummy, very filling and fairly low calorie.

I also make protein pancakes with unflavored protein powder, egg, yogurt flour, a little safflower oil and baking powder. Again, delicious and very satisfying for hours. Both of these preparations get me more than 40 grams of protein in one meal. The mouse is about 450 calories, the pancakes are about 650 with the maple syrup and a little butter.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Protein bars and powder?

This^^ And it doesn't just have to just be shakes with protein powder. I make "chocolate mousse" with greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder. I add banana and nuts to it. Very yummy, very filling and fairly low calorie.

I also make protein pancakes with unflavored protein powder, egg, yogurt flour, a little safflower oil and baking powder. Again, delicious and very satisfying for hours. Both of these preparations get me more than 40 grams of protein in one meal. The mouse is about 450 calories, the pancakes are about 650 with the maple syrup and a little butter.

Which brand do you use?
  • beulah81
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

What bars and powder do you prefer?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    beulah81 wrote: »
    Protein bars and powder?

Which brand do you use?

A couple of different ones depending on what available. For the chocolate, MyProtien and RC. I use different brands for the unflavored.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

Powder: I like quest salted caramel and pescience snickerdoodle the best.
    Bars: quest are good but $$$. Pure protein dark chocolate coconut are good, but hard to find. My husband likes fit crunch. If you go to Costco, the have Kirkland's protein bars that are very similar to quest, only 2 flavors, but less $.
  • beulah81
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

Which brand do you use?

A couple of different ones depending on what available. For the chocolate, MyProtien and RC. I use different brands for the unflavored.

Thank you!
  • beulah81
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

Powder: I like quest salted caramel and pescience snickerdoodle the best.
    Bars: quest are good but $$$. Pure protein dark chocolate coconut are good, but hard to find. My husband likes fit crunch. If you go to Costco, the have Kirkland's protein bars that are very similar to quest, only 2 flavors, but less $.

Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and powder?

Which brand do you use?

For chocolate, I like Whole Foods brand chocolate whey. Chocolate PP needs a bit of sweetener and some brands use artificial sweeteners that I can't stand. Whole Foods brand has a tiny bit of stevia, plus sugar. If brands are judicious with stevia, I can tolerate it.

I found this stuff disgusting: https://smile.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Plant-Based-Protein/dp/B01N6CFWLM/
  • beulah81
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Protein bars and powder?

Which brand do you use?

For chocolate, I like Whole Foods brand chocolate whey. Chocolate PP needs a bit of sweetener and some brands use artificial sweeteners that I can't stand. Whole Foods brand has a tiny bit of stevia, plus sugar. If brands are judicious with stevia, I can tolerate it.

I found this stuff disgusting: https://smile.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Plant-Based-Protein/dp/B01N6CFWLM/

Thank you @kshama2001! Exactly, stevia can be quite overpowering and frankly intolerable to my palate. "Judicious" use is a perfect way to describe this. When mixed in small amounts with sucrose or other natural sweeteners it is often not a problem.