for 166 pounds how many carbs, protein, and fat do I need to lose weight?

Hi, my name is Suzanne and I am new to my fitness pal. I would like to know the above information so I track accurately to lose weight. I have been on a Keto plan for two weeks, but only 5 pounds. Is this the average weight lost?
Many thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Welcome!

Five pounds is perfectly reasonable and good, but it would also be reasonable to expect that to slow down a little as time goes on. Usually, we lose a little extra water weight in the first couple of weeks, then it slows down to a more moderate rate, reflecting actual fat loss (though with daily ups and downs of the scale, so the down-trend is a more "over weeks" kind of thing, not day to day).

Trying to lose weight toooooo fast can come with elevated health risk. Once you've been logging for 4-6 weeks, you'll have a much clearer idea of your actual average loss rate. At 166 pounds, unless you're quite petite, a pound a week might be a good target.

As far as macros, the MFP defaults are reasonable for most people. Since you're doing Keto, you'll presumably want to reduce your carb intake to the level you find appropriate, and distribute the "extra" calories between fats and protein, based on what you find most satiating. Most keto plans seem to recommend relatively high fats, relatively moderate protein, but I'm not in any way a Keto expert. (I lost weight with a balanced macros approach, 4+ years back at age 59-60, and now maintain the same way.)

Best wishes!
  • mary_lou_rios
    mary_lou_rios Posts: 45 Member
    Aprox 60 g of protein. One needs Aprox 0.36 g per pound to calculate the amount of protein for your weight if 166