What happens when you walk 100,000 steps in one day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I was at 29,000 after working out today I decided to get my next Fitbit badge at 35,000, my legs feel like they're going to fall off at this point!
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This might happen

https://youtu.be/tbNlMtqrYS0
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that said that this guy didn't seem to be prepared for someone who was already getting in 25k steps a day. Why would you just randomly decide to quadruple your steps with no gradual increase? That's a great way to get injured, even just walking.

I hit 55k steps once when I ran a Disney half marathon in the early morning, followed by a full day of walking around Disney. My legs and feet hurt by the end of the day (no blisters), but I was trained, napped after the half, and swapped shoes.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Iv done 30,000 in 5 hours while working nights at a stud farm. I have arthritis so I was near crawling by the end from sore knees and pelvis but if I had taken pain relief I would have been fine.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

ozzr3fapjlsb.jpg
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, now that song is stuck in my head.

Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da

It has replaced my earlier earworm “My Corona” (a Covid19 take on My Sharona). 😂

On topic though, my longest walking attempts have always been thwarted by blisters forming, I’ve yet to find the perfect shoe/sock combo. Pre-taping healthy blister prone areas helps somewhat. If I could figure that out I think I could double my personal best since it wasn’t my legs or body that gave out, just my skin. :grimace:
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My little brother bought a CD with this on. He hated every other song on the album, so took it back to the shop. The shop let him swap it for "Straight outta Compton" by NWA. The assistant said: "You mistook the Proclaimers for NWA? We get this all the time."

For young people: CDs are an old-fashioned way of playing music. We used to buy them in physical shops.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Both of my 50k race days yielded 75k+ steps. I was tired and hungry.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've walked 26.2 miles twice but not back to back
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My personal best is 68,500 steps in a day. It was one long hike and when I returned to the trailhead, my feet were sore but other than that, I could have gone for a few more miles. I've always found on long hikes that it hurts more to stop and start again than to just keep going. I'm not a fast walker, so doing 100,000 steps in a day would probably take most of the day for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My best day was over 60,000. That's pretty typical for a marathon day for me once you combine the racing and the walking around associated with it.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    56K steps done Nothing happened, apart form being hungry at the end. I was well prepared and trained.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I’ve been close to 80k several times. None of those things he describes have happened to me. Especially when most of those steps were on a treadmill (which is softer and more forgiving than asphalt or concrete).

Bleeding feet/ankles at less than 10k? Blisters? What was he wearing? Was he even remotely prepared to cover this distance?

I am usually tired after a 20+ mile run (and all the other movement of the day) and sore if it’s a race. But not like anything he’s describing. Good grief.

Note: I’m short with a short stride and run about 2400 steps/mile.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I hadn't read the article before posting the first time, but I read it now. While the symptoms he was experiencing seemed unlikely (given that the number of steps he took before getting bloody ankles and feet was just...well, if he had routinely walked that amount, he should've been conditioned for it), one thing he said was very true. On long walks/hikes, you think about your feet and legs but might not think about other parts of your body that suffer.

For me, I used to make sure I had proper footwear and socks and pants but never put much thought into the rest of my outfit. And on a long hike, I always had sore shoulders. Then I started wearing a backpack and just the ability to grab onto the straps every once in awhile and give your arms/shoulders a "rest" made a world of difference. Suddenly, my shoulders and neck didn't ache when the hike was over. I can't say I enjoy how sweaty my back gets when wearing a pack, but it's a small price to pay for less pain on a hike.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I only did about 31000 today, mostly during a hilly forest hike. I was dearly underdressed for the windchill (sat under the shower for ages to warm up afterwards), forgot the second roll of chew-able candy for extra energy (ran out of food about halfway in), but otherwise no problem. Not bad, considering I'm rather unfit at the moment. So basically with more food, something warm to drink and warmer clothes I could have gone on.