First time running

Options
My normal routine is arc trainer for 30 minutes on a weight loss program at the Y. I do this at least 3 days a week. Of course all the gyms are closed and I’m getting restless. Today my kiddo got on her bike and I ran beside her. This is my first time running outside ever. I’ve lost about 55lbs this year through diet and exercise. I found I could run for awhile and then I would need to take a short walking break, then I could run a little more. We went about a mile. My watch said I averaged about 12 minutes a mile. I felt pretty good after, just like the arc trainer. My knees are a little sore, but really not too bad. What tips do you all have for me if I want to pursue and improve running? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,127 Member
    Options
    My normal routine is arc trainer for 30 minutes on a weight loss program at the Y. I do this at least 3 days a week. Of course all the gyms are closed and I’m getting restless. Today my kiddo got on her bike and I ran beside her. This is my first time running outside ever. I’ve lost about 55lbs this year through diet and exercise. I found I could run for awhile and then I would need to take a short walking break, then I could run a little more. We went about a mile. My watch said I averaged about 12 minutes a mile. I felt pretty good after, just like the arc trainer. My knees are a little sore, but really not too bad. What tips do you all have for me if I want to pursue and improve running? Thanks in advance.

That’s great! I have no tips but I did something kinda similar last week Sunday. I was able to run a mile. Then I walked 15 min. Then ran a mile (but walked a little twice). I was actually sore like 4-5 days. I had never really ran before either. But do workout at least 6 days a week. Good for you! I’ll be reading the tips too.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I REALLY like the couch to 5k programs. They start you with intervals of running and walking, and gradually work you up to longer running intervals and then just running. You can repeat a week if you need to, I have many times. I started with that and can now run 3, 4, 5 miles at a time without stopping. The one I use is called 5k run I believe. It might just be 5k. Its on the google play store but I bet the apple version has it, too.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running!

Stay slow and build your base. Use an established program like c2k if you’d like. Do some weight training to develop core, muscle and tendon strength. Body weight stuff is fine- push ups, squats, chair dips, lunges.

Running is my jam and I love when others fall in love with it!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. If you can't talk to your kiddo while running you're going too fast. And I agree with the C2K suggestion (or something similar).

Just be careful. Running is very addictive (like that's a bad thing). :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Walk/run is a good way to get started, or just jog really really slowly for 20-30 minutes. Don't run every day to start out; let your muscles heal. Walking on the off days is okay though.

Normally everyone would say to go to a good running store to get well-fitted shoes, but given the business closures, that may not be possible for a while. When you can, that is an important first step.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try Couch25K. Great program. Get good running shoes. Run slow.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,856 Member
    Options
    I think the most fabulous thing about the OP is that he/she ran while the child biked. What a great example you are setting for your daughter! And you also learned something important: that fitness doesn't always have to be intentional, like going to a gym. Lots of times it can just be something that you do, like going for a walk, or while having fun with your kids :)

And what everyone else said: C25K is great. Have good shoes. Don't run every day (when I did C210K I could run only on every third day).