Weight loss rate in the real world

Options
pink_mint
pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm keeping at my effort to lose weight in the middle of all the upheaval in the world, and some challenges in my own life. It gives me something to work on and hopefully reap the positive benefits of.

For those who lost weight and feel that you did it in a realistic, sustainable way - what is a rate of weight loss that is normal? Especially given female cycle related things. I guess the 'real world' also includes detoxes, cleanses, The Biggest Loser, crash dieting, highly restrictive diets etc. I guess by 'real world' I mean methods of weight loss that are not drastic and unsustainable for long periods of time.

I am 4 weeks into my weight loss effort (5'5" starting weight 205, current weight 201). I've stayed at my calorie goal every day. The first 2 weeks I bounced between a 0-2 lb weight loss. 2 weeks in I was up to my starting weight, was really frustrated, then I dropped 4 lbs all at once over 2 days and have stayed at that weight for 2 weeks now. I know this is within the range of normal, but I am just impatient.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I suspect that the 'weight gain' was actually just fluid retention because it was that time in your cycle. What whoosh happens once the additional water leaves your system.

Using a weight trending app like Libra (Android), Happyscale (IOS) or Trendweight (web synced with Fitbit) can help you see the trend of weight loss, regardless of those blimps in day to day weight. This can really help ease your mind.

Aiming for around 1 pound a week is a great target for you as this slow and steady approach is more sustainable and less likely to cause long term health results (including muscle loss). When you get closer to goal easing off to 1/2 pound a week is even better.

You can do it! Just keep going and get up if you fall down.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Normal depends on your stats, activity level, and your mental readiness. Anything between 2.5 pounds a week when I was super morbidly obese, to 1 pound every 3 weeks when I was close to goal and inactive was normal. I also had times when I chose to maintain for months, even close to a year once. I also maintained most of this last year intermittently, and that was normal too. It's also normal for me to only see any real progress on the scale 10 days a month due to female hormones, and consistent gain at certain times of my cycle.

What's normal is what you find sustainable, even if that means putting weight loss on hold for a while. Admittedly, I took my time more than the average person (took me 6 years to lose 140 lbs), but that was my normal. Anyone else's normal is not mine.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I started with 2 lbs per week and kept that up for six months, but it got hard. I eventually down shifted to 1.5 lbs/wk and more recently 1 lb. My experience is that one pound per week isn't very hard but every little increment beyond that gets exponentially harder.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have gained 10 to 12 kg a year - so it would be reasonable that I am able to lose about the same amount with a much healthier meal plan, a bit of exercise and the support of MFP and all those amazing members.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Back when weight loss blogs were popular I tracked numerous blogs and all but one had a rebound. We're talking at least 40. Some made it to goal weight though. I always wondered what made her so special. She was losing weight for her wedding. I graphed her weight and it was steep at the start and tapered off gently towards the end. My blog graph was all jaggered.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing just fine.

Look at the trend over 4 to 6 weeks. And learn to accept the weird wondrous world of normal weight fluctuations and temporary 'plateaus' :wink:
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I did my weight loss in phases. Lost 40 over 2 years. Maintained. Put on 10 pounds then lost them over a few months. Maintained for 3 years. Dropped another 10. So my progress has been anything other than linear. Aside from those pesky daily fluctuations.