I need a beer.

Options
I haven't had a beer in 3 weeks. (Is this connected to my losing weight?:wink:)

I am going out tonight for a couple of pints (not 8 or 9) and wondered if anyone could suggest a reasonably low-cal beer?

Anything considered, but I'd prefer something with a bit of flavour (Bud Light is not an option).

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Work out a little longer than usual today, be very mindful of your calories, and enjoy whatever damn beer you want.

Personally, I make delicious beer fit in my diet because life is too short for lite beer. All that being said, there are some beers that have a naturally lower calorie count than others: Guinness is one good beer .. my research is telling me it's about 170, but that's not what I've heard in the past... Anchor Steam is somewhere around 120... I think Fat Tire is right about 140.

If you're only having a couple pints, you will not have to work too hard to burn those calories off. Enjoy those beers!

Edited to correct myself ... the sentence about Guinness read as though it only had one calorie. Not true. Sorry dudes - I haven't even had my coffee yet.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Work out a little longer than usual today, be very mindful of your calories, and enjoy whatever damn beer you want.

Personally, I make delicious beer fit in my diet because life is too short for lite beer. All that being said, there are some beers that have a naturally lower calorie count than others: Guinness is one. Anchor Steam is somewhere around 120... I think Fat Tire is right about 140.

If you're only having a couple pints, you will not have to work too hard to burn those calories off. Enjoy those beers!

Guinness? Nice one.

Thanks a lot.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Yess! what Kortney said! I haven't quit drinking I just don't do it as often or as much. And working out a little extra couldn't hurt. [=

:drinker: :happy:
  • infamousmk
    Options
    P.S. I'm a little disappointed that this thread wasn't about morning beers. An IPA with a green-chili smothered breakfast burrito is the stuff holidays are made for.
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a big fan of beers and ales, I just gotta say... Anything "low cal" is crap (except Fat Tire's Skinny Dip summer beer, which is IMPOSSIBLE to find in stores, let alone in a restaurant/bar). You have to take the calories and accept that if you want to drink it. I mean, avoid Guinness draught in large quantities, because it is the heaviest of all tap beers most places offer, but otherwise, pretty much every other beer/ale that you'd come across is going to be between 120-200 cals per serving (though make sure you define what your serving is... I'm not sure if MFP calculates by 8oz glass or by pint or by bottle - there are a ton of separate entries in the database for Guinness draught each with conflicting calorie counts. I tend to go by the "standard" 210 calories per pint with that one).

The trick really is moderation with beer (and, ok, most alcoholic beverages in general and we're not just talking about calories but common sense, blah blah blah). Have a couple of pints (2 or 3), take your time drinking them, enjoy them, and then stop. Drink water between rounds, too!

Hope this helps!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There are low cal beers like Molson 67. I happen to love bud light lime and/or Miller chill
    Miller chill i believe is 100 calories a bottle and BLL is 110 i believe.
    both great options :)
  • SgtSwampFox
    Options
    Guinness is the way to go. Low cal and dark enough to force you to sip... not drink.
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm a little disappointed that this thread wasn't about morning beers. An IPA with a green-chili smothered breakfast burrito is the stuff holidays are made for.

Like your style!!!

mmm... Do miss real ale. Switched to JD & Diet coke as has far less calories. Still need my wine tho!!!! -
  • shc65
    shc65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try a Yuengling Light -- some bars have them some don't........I would settle for a bud light or mich ultra -- just want a cold beer on the beach.
  • Paddy31
    Options

IPA for breakfast! I'm appaled and disgusted. What kind of example is that to set the children?

Everyone knows you have to drink Tennants straight from the can for breakfast. (At least that's what my neighbours here do)
  • Paddy31
    Options
    The advice about the exercise is good too. Thanks again!
  • bkweibel
    Options
    I enjoy a good beer now and again and I have found that Bud Select 55 is NICE! Yes, it does have a lighter taste to it, but when counting calories, it does good!
  • beginswithb
    Options
    As a beer snob that has succumbed to light beers (sigh), I must say that it isn't worth it if you're only having a few. Go for the good craft stuff and ENJOY them. Drink plenty of water, as always. I enjoyed some cheap Magic Hat last night and ended the evening with some yummy tripel Beligians. Life is too good for bad beer. <3
  • Paddy31
    Options
    Loads of good ideas. Except "drink water". I'll get lynched!
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Before I went Gluten Free, I enjoyed Bud Light Lime or Blue Moon but now, I like Woodchuck which is a great gluten free option and their summer blend is absolutely delicious!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

haha. I haven't had morning beer for a long time. When I lived in New Jersey for awhile we used to drink a sh!tton of Yeungling.. or is it Yuengling.. I always forget. It was our favorite. mmmm.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Marry me?
  • katieherringshaw
    Options
    Alcohol has a lot of calories in it...period. It's like toping off your gas tank. Your tank doesn't really need it.
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Loads of good ideas. Except "drink water". I'll get lynched!

Then secretly order a seltzer with lime. Looks like a G&T and everyone thinks you're hard core for mixing.

Or just tell your friends to STFU and drink the water round like a badass. :)
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Before I went Gluten Free, I enjoyed Bud Light Lime or Blue Moon but now, I like Woodchuck which is a great gluten free option and their summer blend is absolutely delicious!

Keep your eyes out for Gluten Free beers!! There's a new brewery from Boulder, Colorado making some damn good sorghum beers.