Boredom staying at home because of coronavirus?

Options
This is definitely going to stall the weight loss because there’s not much to do at home all day, so I eat more. Who can relate? Vent all about your coronavirus struggles here!

Replies

• staceynicole10
    staceynicole10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Stuck home with 3 kids under 8 one with asd and I'm climbing the walls and so are they. I dont know how I've not sat eating as that's what I've always done in the past. I'm constantly taking coffee or green tea to take the urge away. This is only a week at home for us. We're in Ireland and its suspected schools will not reopen at least another 8 weeks.
    .😭😭😭
  • jbyers877
    jbyers877 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    been a struggle here as well. it's rained for the last 3 days and having some localized flooding so we haven't been able to go for a run (was training for a half marathon) or even walk the dog. have a plan for the weekend though. time to tackle that honeydo list. there's a couple of bedrooms that need painted and 2 large rooms that need flooring.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help folks with kids, but worth a look:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789425/what-motivates-you-to-follow-a-self-imposed-schedule#latest

I'm not bored "doing nothing," but my body can't take it, so I am getting set to start making a schedule and set my alarms to it.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "home is misery" camp. It's quiet. It's boring. It's lonely. The weather is rotten, so can't even go outside. I listen to podcasts all day just to hear human voices. Then spend half the day on pandemic planning calls for work. I work for a medical school affiliated with one of the largest health systems in the state, so calls are getting pretty grim. I go to bed about 7 o'clock unless I have a zoom with friends. It's just not worth being awake and I have a lot of sleeping pills I might as well use up. On the bright side, I'm not hungry at all and when I do eat, I get sick about half the time, so I've lost about 5 pounds so far. Pity that no shops are open to buy new "skinny" clothes.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    Guys, I am in Italy, in the worst-hit region. We were able to go out walking or running, but now they have asked we stop that too. I am starting the 30-day shred today. I have been home with my two teenage boys and husband for 4 weeks now (2 weeks home from school and working from home with some freedom and 2 weeks of full lockdown). I like cooking and baking for them and of course, drinking wine, so that is my biggest problem. I like having them all home because we are all off doing our own thing, even in our 1200 square foot apartment. But I do need to get on a better schedule of drinking water and exercising. It was easier when we were allowed to go to the park. ANYWAY.....getting a daily routine together, because I think we are gonna be home for at least another month. Stay safe guys!!!

Sending positive vibes and love your way...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My struggles are the opposite. I have 3 kids at home so I am constantly running around I am so busy. I don't have time to sit and eat. And on top of that I am so scared of food shortage that I am worried to eat too much so there's that.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Guys, I am in Italy, in the worst-hit region. We were able to go out walking or running, but now they have asked we stop that too. I am starting the 30-day shred today. I have been home with my two teenage boys and husband for 4 weeks now (2 weeks home from school and working from home with some freedom and 2 weeks of full lockdown). I like cooking and baking for them and of course, drinking wine, so that is my biggest problem. I like having them all home because we are all off doing our own thing, even in our 1200 square foot apartment. But I do need to get on a better schedule of drinking water and exercising. It was easier when we were allowed to go to the park. ANYWAY.....getting a daily routine together, because I think we are gonna be home for at least another month. Stay safe guys!!!

It has absolutely broken my heart watching the news regarding Italy. Please stay safe, and do what you need to do. I am thinking of you daily, I'm in the UK.
  • bellissimaluna
    bellissimaluna Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Sending positive vibes and love your way...

Thanks so much...same back to you!
  • bellissimaluna
    bellissimaluna Posts: 75 Member
    Options

It has absolutely broken my heart watching the news regarding Italy. Please stay safe, and do what you need to do. I am thinking of you daily, I'm in the UK.

We have been isolated for a while and feel safe...but I am with you in watching the news and these poor people. Today more than 600. You stay safe too, I see that lockdown is also coming your way. It isn't that bad...I am busy all day and just listening to good music and TRYING to get stuff done when I am not having that glass of wine...I really need to get on routine! Cannot believe a whole month has already passed! Anyway..Take care. Cheers!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    Options
    There are some good ways to have community even when isolated. If you want to try a team approach, with tons of support and great people connections, the Fat2Fit group is taking new registrations. Give it a try!

FAT 2 FIT APRIL REGISTRATIONS ARE OPEN!!!!

Looking for a support group?
    Looking to get as much as you give?

Fat 2 Fit is inviting you to join! We have been around for over 4 years now - going strong.

We are a weight loss challenge and support group. We have teams for accountability and challenges for motivation.

Come join the best bunch of losers on MFP :)

Click here to see what we are all about:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Want to join us? Click here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789583/april-registration#latest
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been working from home now for a week. Not really bored as I have to get work done. I also have my two boys of 10 and 7 home with me. We have a schedule up on the fridge to provide the with some structure and routine during this time. In addition to my normal work I have to also work at keeping them on schedule during the day and getting them started on various tasks.

We are also taking more walks and I'm getting more bike rides in with this slower pace of life. My oldest just turned 10 yesterday and we and some of my family members pitched in on a big trampoline for the yard...it arrived last Friday just in time for this. We've been doing some jumping most afternoons as part of their scheduled fresh air/exercise time. I am also the opposite of a lot of people in that when I'm anxious or stressed I lose my appetite and have to make myself eat. I lost 1.5 Lbs this week and I'm not trying to do that.
  • mkculs13
    Options
    @bellissimaluna I am so sorry to hear they are tightening things even more for you. It is my secret fear that will happen here where I live. I am so inspired by your attitude; how you will just figure it out. My plan -- if it happened-- was to fall apart. But now I won't because you are showing me the way. I am so, so sorry it's getting harder for these next several weeks, after already having had so much change and isolation. Please know that I will be keeping you and yours in my prayers.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    @bellissimaluna I am so sorry to hear they are tightening things even more for you. It is my secret fear that will happen here where I live. I am so inspired by your attitude; how you will just figure it out. My plan -- if it happened-- was to fall apart. But now I won't because you are showing me the way. I am so, so sorry it's getting harder for these next several weeks, after already having had so much change and isolation. Please know that I will be keeping you and yours in my prayers.

You will surprise yourself. Feeling safe in the comfort of your own home will be a big weight off your shoulders. You'll probably find a way to entertain or distract yourself, maybe even deep clean the house or start a new project. Some of my family members have never been able to stay at home for longer than it takes to get ready for bed - sleep - get ready to go out. Their coping skills surprised me. No need to catastrophize, you can't really predict how you'll react. You can speculate, but once you're in the deep things are different.
  • mkculs13
    Options
    @amusedmonkey You are right; I should not expect to fall apart. It's like my mind shuts down. Having a better plan would be a much better option. I'm such a hermit that this has been easy so far. Being able to go out 2x a day for fresh air and exercise has been wonderful. But I'm sure I can cope without that. I just need to think it through. Thank you.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I’m an introvert so being alone at home is not difficult for me. I do get bored from time to time but that just motivates me to make some plans to keep myself occupied. I have a guitar that I haven’t picked up in ages. I am planning on a thorough cleaning of my apartment, going through my wardrobe and streamlining it, doing daily calisthenics. I have a mat. Maybe I’ll take up yoga. I’m sure I’ll get bored sometimes but hopefully at times like that I won’t turn to food!
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a week and a half in working from home. I was initially very busy and barely had time to eat lunch, but as I'm getting into the swing of things, snacking has become more of an issue. I've been trying to keep healthy snacks ready to go and to have a good lunch. I've also stocked up on multiple flavors of carbonated water and gum to try to cut down on snack cravings. I've been working out first thing every morning and I try to hop on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a time throughout the day to compensate for the steps I lose by not physically going to work. I've been trying to keep in contact with friends and colleagues via Zoom, and that helps with boredom and maintaining some sense of normalcy. So, that's my plan, and I hope it will get me through however many weeks of this we're in for. Wishing all of you the best!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing on logging and getting an hour's exercise every day, outside if possible, otherwise treadmill. Snacking hasn't been a problem, for a change- so many people are struggling now to choose food over rent, to me it seems selfish to eat between meals. Trying to keep busy, hoping this ends soon.