Diet Pepsi Addiction!!

Options
I am seriously seriously addicted to diet soda! I really want to cut this habit. Has anyone been in the same boat and done this?
How did you do it?

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to diet coke. I am not ready to give it up yet :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to find a reputable research study which shows any negative health effects of diet soda... Why is it that you want to give it up? Diet pop is yummy I say drink up :)
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to diet coke! I have been able to severely decrease the amount I drink by forcing myself to drink more water. The more water I drink, the less tasty the diet coke seems. I hope that helps!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I was there. Horrible. And it was a hard habit to break.
    So glad I did it though. I feel better and now a year later I don't like the taste.
    But get ready for headaches! Sometimes even stomach aches. I replaced the pop with water and iced tea. I always make sure I have a bottle of water close to me....always.
    Good luck!
  • sillywitch
    sillywitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used green tea, water, and my secret weapon of soda water with a bit of juice in it to get over it. Good luck!
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty serious need for diet soda too. I switched over to sparking water/club soda since I love the bubbles and there's a lot less chemicals in that.. Also by meeting the 8 cups of water, I am not as thirsty as I used to be. Hope that helps! :smile
  • pacmanplayer
    Options
    yes I have been myself addicted to Diet Pepsi.... everytime I wanted one i would pop a sugar free gum cinnamon in my mouth ...gave me flavor and as u know it stings when u drink anything ....lol...also if i was out I would drink iced tea no sugar or with splenda .....
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Coffee in the morning, crystal light at noon, and wine at night. No problem.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well...I used to drink at least one 16 ounce Red Bull per day up until last October. I read an article that basically said that ingesting too much sugar like that can lower your immune system. While I was drinking Red Bull, I used to get colds like every month. I stopped in October of last year and I am not saying I haven't been sick at all, but it definitely helped. Then once I joined MFP and started eating in moderation and exercising, I have not been sick at all!.

Of course I don't know if diet soda has the same effect, BUT I know that the fake sugars like aspartame really are terrible for your. It's 100% chemical. I also read another article that there have been people misdiagoned with MS because they went to the doctor and had symptoms of MS...but it turns out they were actually having these side effects from drinking too much diet soda/using aspartame.

Red Bull was a ritual for me. I didn't really need the energy at all, I just wanted it. I would stop every morning and pick one up on my way to work and sometimes another on my way home. When I decided that I would start skipping my morning stop I was able to stop caring about having it. When and why do you drink it? Figure that out and then reverse that thinking :)
  • nursesamd
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sam, and I am addicted to diet pepsi.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I gave up all pop Jan 2011 and it's been SO hard, but SO beneficial! I lost 7lbs right off the bat!
  • lgtahoe
    Options
    Go cold turkey, and in time you'll be disgusted by it. I have access to free soda at my job and I NEVER drink it anymore, not even in a cocktail. Sometimes I think I'll have just a little to curb a sweet craving, but it just tastes like chemicals now. And this from a girl who lived on Big Gulps in college. Now, if only I could get over my french fry addiction....
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    My advise is just to stop buying it in bulk cans/bottles buy 1 2-liter instead of 12 pack cans (or bottles) at the grocery store. If you don't have it, you won't drink it. Having one 2 liter will save you when you have a crazy craving.

Doing this helped me very much. I now drink 1 glass every other day, as appose to 5 or 6 cans a day!
  • ShellyRath
    Options
    If you do a google search you will find so many articles that link diet sodas to a host of negative side effects, including obesity. The other negative effect that it has on your body is dehydration due to the caffeine and artificial sweetner's making your weight loss more difficult. Dump the diet sodas and good luck.
    This article is a good start:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My advise is just to stop buying it in bulk cans/bottles buy 1 2-liter instead of 12 pack cans (or bottles) at the grocery store. If you don't have it, you won't drink it. Having one 2 liter will save you when you have a crazy craving.

Doing this helped me very much. I now drink 1 glass every other day, as appose to 5 or 6 cans a day!

This is good advice. That's actually what I do to. And I keep my 2L bottle at room temperature, and fill the glass with ice. The process of the ice cooling down the soda also dilutes the soda, and to me it tastes much more like fountain pop.
  • katharine1980
    katharine1980 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to find a reputable research study which shows any negative health effects of diet soda... Why is it that you want to give it up? Diet pop is yummy I say drink up :)

there are alot of research studies that have linked it to weight gain, especially in the midsection, as well as other side effects. i need to stop b/c i drink it everyday all day. today i drank 2 but i have 2 huge bottles of water i am drinking now. so we shal see lol. fingers crossed i hope this works!!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    "I really want to cut this habit".

i had the same problem but with pepsi, had to have it daily, i was able to break this habit by focusing on wanting to have a healthier lifestyle and get fit, so i slowly began to have less and less of it until i finally got to the point of none, i would buy a case of 12 and make that last me a month, when it was gone i would buy no more for that month, and do the same the following month, until i got down to doing the same thing but with a 6 pack, and then finally down to zero, i also found that the less i had the less i wanted.

i have successfully ended this obsession and have not had a pepsi in 10years., whatever your daily intake is just make a commitment to have 1 less the next day or the next week or however long you can do it just find a way to get started.

it can be done.