Blacking out

Options
Okay, so I could google search an get a ton of results, or I can ask here where I know there are lots of people to answer the question with a lot of experience:

I'm no stranger to working out... been in the Army for 8 years this month, and up until 4 weeks ago I was working out at the gym every day, between weightlifting and running, 60-120 minutes a day. I pulled a muscle that forced me to quit the weight lifting for 3 1/2 weeks, and then got sick earlier this week. I started back at the gym this last Monday, and while finishing my workout (about 1 1/2 hours in) I got very light headed and started to black out. Thankfully, I knew it was coming, and was able to lay down and rest before it actually happened.

The last time that happened to me was in Iraq, and I hadn't eaten very well so I assumed it was due to my poor eating that day. Then came my cold, and now I'm back to weight lifting today. After about 60 minutes of lifting, I got very light headed again and started to feel faint. Twice tonight I almost blacked out. I knew to call the quits, so here I am resting now. My question comes to this: What are possible explanations for my body almost blacking out?

Some add on notes: I don't think it's dehydration, as I've been drinking plenty of water lately. I typically have between 8-10 cups of water a day, sometimes more. I also don't think it's not eating enough food, because I made sure I had good meals today to compensate for my workout, and that didn't seem to make a difference tonight. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sgt C

Replies

• JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    Drop in blood pressure.
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hmm. You mentioned a cold came after the time on Monday, and here it is Saturday... I'd say it might still be the after-effects of the cold. I had a cold last week and it was making me lightheaded and spaced out for several days after the rest of the symptoms went away.

Other than that, perhaps it is time to have your blood pressure checked. If it's too low, that could explain the passing out during workouts.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you for your service! Second, I am sorry to hear this.

Question, are you certain it is not dehdration? You could possibly need more than just 8 - 10 cups of water, based on your workout routine. Another thought, you are just coming back from an injury and being sick with the cold. Are you certain the cold was entirely gone? Maybe it is your body's way of saying it is not ready to get back into the workout routine just yet?

I hope you figure it out and feel better soon!
  • SeanC86
    Options
    I've considered the blood pressure issue too, but when I went to get my muscle checked out (Early August... about a month ago) the nurse told me I had good blood pressure. I suppose I can go in and have them check it again to see... just to make sure that's not an issue. I might just give it a few days to finish getting over this cold (Today feels as though it would be my last day, which is why I felt okay enough to work out... could be the problem.)
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am a RN, as a professional nurse I would suggest you see your Doctor, it better to rule out possible issues instead of allowing us to try to fiqure it out. I hope you feel better soon.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That happened to me after having the flu. While I was sick I didn't eat near enough calories and barely exercised...it might be that you have to take it slower than you *really* want to...it was hard for me but building back up slowly felt a lot better than feeling faint and miserable.

Thank you for your service! :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yup. I agree with the other posters. Give your cold a few more days to go. Many times the cold is still there, even after the symptoms are gone.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You should definitely see a doctor, this is not normal. If you're blacking out, 90% of the time it's going to be due to a drop in blood pressure, but the question is why. If you've got a cold, that could be elevating your pulse. Couple that with your exercise and your accelerated pulse could be dropping your pressure enough to cause issues. Also, are you getting enough iron? Sometimes a drop in Hemoglobin due to iron deficiencies can lead to a lower volume and propensity to blackouts. Either way see your doctor ASAP. A stress test is likely in your future and would be a good thing to ensure there's not a cardiological reason for what you're experiencing.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    A cold can really wipe the body out and too much exerction does cause fatigue quickly. Try doing smaller work outs if you feel you want to try them and make sure you have a nice high protein snack or meal before you do them. Watch out for anything high sugar like juice. Hang in there and feel stronger soon.
    Thank you for all you have done for us!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to get that when I was a teenager and went on a very strict calorie-reduction diet. I assumed it was low blood sugar. In any case, make sure you are taking in enough calories and nutrients (including salt). Also of course enough water. But if this continues for another day or two..then go see a doctor. It could be blood pressure.

You are working out a lot (120 minutes a day is a lot). So make sure you hydrate before, during, and after your workouts and make sure you've had something to eat about an hour or two before your long workout. I personally love a pbj before a long workout..it keeps me peppy!

Good luck!
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Way to go with your service to your country. We are all proud of those who have served.

Go to the Doctors and get your blood pressure checked. Your health is very important.

I had a cold last week and felt light headed but did head to my GP to get it checked out. Reckoned it was a sudden drop in pressure due to having a temperature and exercising, but you can never be too careful.

Big Hugs
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    This is the best advice.
    You should definitely see a doctor, this is not normal. If you're blacking out, 90% of the time it's going to be due to a drop in blood pressure, but the question is why. If you've got a cold, that could be elevating your pulse. Couple that with your exercise and your accelerated pulse could be dropping your pressure enough to cause issues. Also, are you getting enough iron? Sometimes a drop in Hemoglobin due to iron deficiencies can lead to a lower volume and propensity to blackouts. Either way see your doctor ASAP. A stress test is likely in your future and would be a good thing to ensure there's not a cardiological reason for what you're experiencing.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I remember you correctly, both these instances happened when you went to workout after a short break where you rested. Maybe you did too much too soon. Better to ease into it? I'd also go see a doctor just in case it's something more serious (hopefully not).
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree, get checked out.
    I started having light headedness and my heart would race when I worked out really hard and got my HR up past a certain count. I thought it was a heart related, turns out it was BP. I have excellent BP - BUT, it doesn't increase when my heart rate increases which causes the blood not to flow correctly. So, say for instance my normal BP is 110/60 @ 84 HBPM. Well, my BP stayed at 110/60 when my HR went up to 180 - hence the physical issues. I was instructed to add sodium to my diet (or drink Gatorade during workouts) and it helped tremendously. But this may not be your issue, so its best to see a Dr as I did.

Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force for 12 years. We're intelligent enough to report our condition to our superiors and get ourselves an appointment with the medical centre.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yup. I agree with the other posters. Give your cold a few more days to go. Many times the cold is still there, even after the symptoms are gone.

I just have to say, awesome hat, ansonrinesmith. :smile: I have the donkey. :happy:
  • SeanC86
    Options
    I was in the Air Force for 12 years. We're intelligent enough to report our condition to our superiors and get ourselves an appointment with the medical centre.

Indeed. I talked with my senior leaders and they all sorta suggested the same thing. A lot told me to rest a little longer with the cold and all, make sure I'm eating right and getting the right amount of water/sodium. I think my plan of action at this time is to let my body rest a little more and ease into it again over the next few weeks. This will be a difficult thing for me, seeing as how I go on leave in November and was hoping to lose another 10 lbs to wow the friends and family back home. haha Oh well... guess I gotta do what's right. If I experience it again next time I'm there (in a week or so) I'll see the base doctor immediately. Thanks everyone...

Oh yea, and I'm proud to serve. :)