KETO TIPS

Options
There are carbs in everything! does anyone have any great KETO recipes, snack ideas that you'd like to share. I am looking for ZERO carb. Thanks!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Keto is not a zero carb diet. It is a low NET carb diet.

Zero carb would be more of a carnivore diet.

So my recipe idea is steak and eggs. My snack idea is boiled eggs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Meat and more meat? If you want to go zero carbohydrate, you don't really need recipes. You'll just be eating meat with a side of meat, dressed with whatever oil you prefer. You can't even have eggs, as they have about half a gram of carbohydrate per egg.

If there were carbohydrates in everything that I wanted to eat, I would not consider a zero carbohydrate diet a good fit for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Why zero carb? Keto is very very low net carb (like 20-50 depending on activity level and total cals). When I (briefly) did keto, it was all about eggs and veg at breakfast (plus half an avocado), salad with meat (and maybe olives or nuts or cheese) on it at lunch, and then meat (often fish or some other seafood) and veg at dinner (maybe with some higher fat options again like a sauce or olives or nuts or avocado). Sometimes I did cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash or some other winter squash or root veg like turnips and celeriac as a starchy side substitute with dinner too.

Too much meat for me (there are people who do low or no meat keto, but I would find that hard), and even the carbs I was eating (mainly vegetables) were pushing at my carb goal, and I am not really into high fat meats or sauces for the most part, so I quit (plus I missed my fruit and potatoes), but it's really not that hard in theory if you know what foods are low carb (or, like veg, simply low cal).
  • barmami
    barmami Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keto isn’t about no carb as the others said. It’s just staying below your net carbs for the day (mine is 20g a day). Some of my favorite snacks are roasted cauliflower with bagna cauda, egg salad, tuna salad with celery, salami with hard cheese, pico de gallo with green bell pepper slices in place of chips, chicharron with hot sauce, bacon.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish like mackeral, anchovy, sardines, coconut oil- make into balls with macadamia butter and hazelnut meal. It will have minimal carbs.

• foolforcarbos
    foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

The only thing that I know of that is basically zero, is Mac Pork Skins. You don't want to even try to live off those. Plus, without some carbs, the body won't like you and you won't lose weight. Not in a healthy manor. You do know most keto followers even think under 50 is fine. They count net carbs. They slowly lower calories to ease into and prevent the keto flu. They know they may have an off day that may spike them and throw them out of ketosis, and they are cool with knowing that. And they look for healthy low glycemic foods. They measure insulin. And there are some great websites and youtube videos on their diets.

So I don't keep posting all the keto links, which I did at one point, posted many many, then just PM me and I will throw what I can link to your way. But ease off the zero. :) You'll be fine.

This may help:

3h9ka7sy2ur5.png
  • foolforcarbos
    foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    One other comment. If you are having to measure your blood daily, and have to manage your insulin, then let us know, so you don't get a lot of suggestions that may spike that insulin. But if you don't have to worry if you spike it then there are more things we can suggest, including other fruits and things, that work differently with low glycemic foods. Like apples. I know. Can you believe? In other words, if you are okay on your fiber that you are eating those carbs with, it's easier to hit net carbs. I don't count net carbs but just hold myself to carb counts regardless of net and stick to listed, but are you counting net carbs or just running with the carbs in general to determine your macros?

And once you learn what to eat or snack on for one thing, like carbs, then it's the whole whoa, what's my calories doing creeping up today? Carbs down, calories up. Hang in there.

But I do eat Mac Pork Skins, walnuts, black walnuts, Tostitos blue corn chips, dark chocolate, at 72% not that 98% bitter stuff, etc... and yes, even the occasional peanuts, in very moderation.
  • bflrngatt
    bflrngatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don’t make keto harder than it needs to be. It works just fine if you do the 5% carbs.