Not seeing progress HELP

Options
CarolineDesmedt
CarolineDesmedt Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Can someone look at my diaries and let me know what I’m doing wrong. I am 5,6 and 127 pounds and want to gain muscle but am not seeing any difference. What am I doing wrong? How many calories should I eat and what should my macros be?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. Are you following a progressive lifting program? Are you currently eating with a goal to maintain or gain weight?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

How many calories are you aiming for? What is your workout routine?
  • CarolineDesmedt
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Your diary is closed.

I have opened my diary, sorry about that. And I have been aiming for 1500. And I workout 4-5 times a week. I do F45 workouts.
  • CarolineDesmedt
    Options
    Your diary is closed. Are you following a progressive lifting program? Are you currently eating with a goal to maintain or gain weight?

I have made my diary open to view! And I do F45 5 times a week. I am eating with a goal to maintain weight and build muscle I hope

• nutmegoreo
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

I have opened my diary, sorry about that. And I have been aiming for 1500. And I workout 4-5 times a week. I do F45 workouts.

I'm not familiar with F45, but if it includes increasing weights over time, it may help with building muscle, it may not be the most effective, but if you enjoy it, that's a start. That calorie limit, however, is not going to work against you. I'm 5'2" and lose weight on 1700 calories. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat in a slight surplus, prioritizing protein.
  • CarolineDesmedt
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

I'm not familiar with F45, but if it includes increasing weights over time, it may help with building muscle, it may not be the most effective, but if you enjoy it, that's a start. That calorie limit, however, does not. I'm 5'2" and lose weight on 1700 calories. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat in a slight surplus, prioritizing protein.

I guess I don’t know what my calories should be. Without gaining a ton of weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

I'm not familiar with F45, but if it includes increasing weights over time, it may help with building muscle, it may not be the most effective, but if you enjoy it, that's a start. That calorie limit, however, does not. I'm 5'2" and lose weight on 1700 calories. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat in a slight surplus, prioritizing protein.

I guess I don’t know what my calories should be. Without gaining a ton of weight.

How many calories does MFP give you if you set it up to maintain your weight?
  • CarolineDesmedt
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating at maintenance and doing this program consistently?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    The 1850, doesn't include exercise even. I would start with 1850, since you have been eating considerably less, and give it several weeks to even out. Remember that the scale will fluctuate regularly, and don't be surprised if there is a bit of a bump up the first few days eating at a more reasonable goal. Once you have done this for about 6 weeks, review what has been going on with your weight and then either increase or decrease your calories. The day to day fluctuations are noise. You need to look at the trends over time.
  • DevonKaroline
    DevonKaroline Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're brand new to weight lifting, you *might* be able to build some muscle doing F45, however, you'll be much more productive with your training if you focus on traditional weight lifting where you're putting a ton of effort into each set with plenty of recovery in between.

Basically, F45 is too fast-paced and doesn't allow enough rest or focus enough on increasing load to make substantial increase in muscle mass.

I'd shift to a lifting program like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.