Best place to buy home gym

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
Hi all, where is the cheapest place to get decent home gym equipment? I'm looking to get

a quiet, sturdy, but not necessarily fancy treadmill

A weight bench with bar and weight set

Maybe a cage

Want to get these before these businesses are closed and I can't leave the house. I live in Vancouver Washington, if that matters.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    All depends on how much you want to spend and what your training needs dictate.

$500 you can go full Amazon.

https://youtu.be/7zR_5o6NvmE

Or spend much more at manufacturers like Rogue, Rep Fitness, Sorinex, etc.

My home gym is primarily Rogue and second hand buys.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I'll see if Amazon still has gym equipment. They stopped taking shipments of "non-essentials" last week.

Normally, Craigslist would be best, but somehow with people stuck at home, I don't think there will be much...unless it's from people who lost their jobs 😬😕

I'll have to see what shops I have nearby. Do you think that those are better than a sporting goods store like big5?
  • lilawolf
    Options
    @giantrobot_powerlifting. That video was very helpful thanks!
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    @giantrobot_powerlifting. That video was very helpful thanks!
    No problem

Also, check out Titan Fitness. They want to be like Rogue but are much, much cheaper but the quality isn’t as good and shipping the products you ordered can be a nightmare. But worth a look nonetheless.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I bought all of my home gym equipment, except 4 my Concept2 rower snd a few rubber Olympic plates, used off of eBay at a fraction of the cost new at retail.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Kinda a loaded question. You get what you pay for if you know what I mean.

I would advice Rogue if you can afford financially.

Kinda a long shot but you might also be able to talk to owners of the gyms that are closing doors and make a offer for things you are talking about. Phone call wouldn't be ridiculous.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fitness equipment is EXTREMELY hard to come by right now. Also hard to come by, but if you can get your hands on one, you can buy an Oculus Quest for around $400. Cheaper than most treadmills and a lot more fun for cardio options.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I bought all of my home gym equipment, except 4 my Concept2 rower snd a few rubber Olympic plates, used off of eBay at a fraction of the cost new at retail.

Correction:

I bought most if my gym equipment off of Craigslist, not eBay
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Kinda a loaded question. You get what you pay for if you know what I mean.

I would advice Rogue if you can afford financially.

Kinda a long shot but you might also be able to talk to owners of the gyms that are closing doors and make a offer for things you are talking about. Phone call wouldn't be ridiculous.

Sure. That's why I said cheapest decent stuff. I don't want to buy it twice and I don't want to risk my safety. I'll pay a premium for quality to an extent but want to avoid paying for a name/brand. On the other hand I doubt that I would ever squat more than say... 200lbs so my setup doesn't have to be quite as killer as yours probably does :p.

Sounds like Rogue is a good middle ground. I'll look around. Options are only getting more limited by the day.

If I have to, I'll do something like YAYOG or Convict conditioning for the duration, and buy the panic bought home gyms later for cheap on Craigslist.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,400 Member
    Options
    Get proper quality and don't go ultracheep. and maintain your stuff properly. Honestly. Don't buy a light bar and put more than the recommended weight (probably 80kg) on it. Get an olympic bar instead. Get proper locks for it. Get a bench that is stable. A rack that is stable*. And try the threadmill because you're going to walk on it, so make sure you like that particular one.

* I used to live in a gated community with a small gym. The stuff was poorly maintained, and very cheap. I constantly had accidents there, either because the weight disk lock slipped off, the squat rack thingy to place the weight on broke off (or the weight rolled off), the bench was wobbly, etc. If you want to lift you want kit that is stable and doesn't wobble, break or do other unpleasant things because you can get seriously injured.
    Options
    Rogue has suspended ordering at this time because the demand is more than they can handle.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    The majority of my stuff is from Titan Fitness and I've never had an issue with safety or quality. They're certainly in the budget-imitator-tier basically copying what Rogue does (to the point Rogue has even sued them in the past). I have some Rogue stuff I've gotten second-hand and it's definitely nicer but not really enough to justify the price point difference IMO.

Rep Fitness is also a good option in the similar tier as Titan but I know they've been slammed with orders too.