The notion that trying to lose weight is pointless and harmful

Options
pink_mint
pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm sorry that I keep starting new threads. I'm just still trying to get a handle on my current mindset. Thanks for bearing with me.

There's this notion in the body positivity/ intuitive eating community that weight loss is completely futile. That the more you try, the more weight you will eventually regain. They site some studies and claim that the 3 or so percent of people who actually maintain their weight loss have to do so through obsessive means. They say that basically any and all weight loss efforts will backfire. And because this actually is not an unusual experience of many dieters, and was close to my own experience, this idea has sort of haunted me.

So after over 3 years of doing keto to lose weight I sort of just snapped one day. I knew I couldn't eat little to no carbs the whole rest of my life. This isn't about keto per se.

After I started eating carbs and piling on weight, reading and following body positivity accounts and blogs etc was really refreshing in some ways. A lot of it helped me untie my disordered ideas about food and body image from my worth as a person. But then sometimes it seemed to go a little off the rails.

This idea that intentional weight loss is never a good idea always bothered me and I had to sort of ease off of reading and following their accounts. But I always wondered if they're right about that and if so to what extent.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, all.

To be clear, what I described is not my mindset. It's just something that I think about and I guess it troubles me. If I fully believed that trying to lose weight was pointless I wouldn't be here. MFP is vilified in some corners of the anti-diet, HAES, intuitive eating community.

I have learned about calories in/ calories out and that's what every method come down to anyway. The mental and emotional part of getting to a good energy intake/output balance is the hard part.

Weight loss certainly can be miserable. Disordered eating certainly does develop. I think that's where the criticism comes in. There are some who say having a healthy relationship with food is worth the high BMI. I understand what they're saying to an extent.

But I've decided to give it a good shot, losing then maintaining a healthy weight in a way where I can enjoy life while I'm doing it. I have faith it's possible.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I could not do keto, too restrictive but I do eat 100 carbs or less and watch my calorie intake and it has worked well for me. I agree it does have to be something you can live with.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What is HAES?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    What is HAES?

Health at Every Size.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    “They” are wrong. I am proof. I am not special, you can do it too! Don’t make this harder on yourself than it needs to be. Just eat less and move more. That’s what I did. Lost my excess weight because I was beginning to show symptoms of obesity related diseases. I have reversed those and promised myself I will never go back. I’ve kept it off for over 6 years and I intend to do everything in my power to keep my promise, I know I can because I’m the only one that can. Just like you are the only one that determines what you do to achieve your goal, none of what those “experts” say has any power over you, only you do. Don’t cut out any foods you enjoy, just eat less of them and move more. You can do this, you really can. <3