Exercise Calories

Options
Who eats back their exercise calories, who doesn't & why??

Replies

• militarywife100
    Options
    i dont just because i have a hard time getting to 1200 cals per day anyways....usually im at about 1000.. i feel like im eating way too much if i eat more that 1200... should i be eating 1200 or more if i exercise that day even if im full?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i eat about 200-300 back , cause i feel better this way and am losing just the same
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time seeing anything on the scale, I'm not sure why. I think maybe I was underestimating either my calories or overestimating my calories lost. Now I eat half of my calories back and I've dropped a pound for each of past 3 days. I do it now because it seems to give me leeway if case I screw up somewhere. It just seems to work for me. :wink:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I make sure I net 1200 so I eat back to that point at least. I have made the mistake in the past of eating little and exercising more and more and just getting disappointed when I did not lose. Then I would eat crap and my poorly nourished body would glom onto it. Keeping your protein and fiber high is also needed for exercise and overall health (not over by more than 5-10% though). Low glycemic carbs (whole grains and veggie/fruits) are healthy and also necessary for exercise tolerance.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    When I only ate 1200 calories I wasn't losing a thing, I am up to 1400 calories and normally eat back 1/2 my exercise calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I do! I eat between 1800 and 2500 calories a day. I've lost 12lbs since May (and that was starting with 16 to go).
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all of my exercise calories. If I dont, I end up hungry. I prefer having a smaller deficit and my body thanks me for it.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I eat them back because when my blood sugar gets low, I pass out! no hypoglycemia though...but I have to eat about 6 times a day.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people don't... I love food! I cook everything from scratch and eat as healthy as possible but that includes desserts too! I have lost a pound a week (average) and that is my goal. I don't feel deprived or hungry. If I want a special treat sometimes I have to work for it, but that's life. We work for everything else with a reward, why should our health be any different?
  • angelmanderson
    angelmanderson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat some of the calories back if I'm hungry but other than that I do at least try to eat at least 1200 calories a day so my body wont go into starvation mode...I am down 55 and I eat what I want so I do deprive myself and then pig out on junk food
  • yankeegurl
    Options
    MFP gives me 1450 per day & that is not enough for me IMO. I usually get anywhere from 500-1200 extra calories/day from exercise depending on my workout & activity & not eating @ least some back is making me plateau...not good. I have about 5lbs. left to lose & I know they are the most difficult usually.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1450 per day & that is not enough for me IMO. I usually get anywhere from 500-1200 extra calories/day from exercise depending on my workout & activity & not eating @ least some back is making me plateau...not good. I have about 5lbs. left to lose & I know they are the most difficult usually.

I've read that hen you only have a few pounds to lose it is really important to keep a small calorie deficit. You body doesn't want to give up it's last fat stores. It isn't "natural" to be lean. It'll even start feeding off muscle in order to retain this fat. If you keep your calorie deficit small (like 250 calories, which is a half pound a week), and keep your protein intake high you can prevent the muscle loss and convince your body that it gets plenty of food so it doesn't have to keep that fat.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I ever eat any exercise calories, it's usually an accident. But I'm a tall man and allow myself 1600 food cals per day. I've tried to read up on starvation mode, but there isn't much science there, I think. I get about 2200 exercise cals/week, mostly on an elliptical. Although I have run into discouraging weight plateaus in the past (for example, no weight loss in 10 days), there are a lot of possible explanations--water weight,, digestive cycles, etc). What seems clear to me is that as long as I exercise frequently, I will lose weight.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i totally do, just because i get hungry often and eat a lot to feel full :/. i also don't feel full on 1450 cals, and work out so i can have the extra calories, hahah.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thread number 7 in 7 days on the exact same topic!

Search function people! :D