mowing grass

Options
Is mowing ur grass considered any form of exercise if ur on a riding mower? My hubby says no cause I'm riding but it sure takes alot out of me with all the bumps and hot sun and sweating. My heart rate is up so I thought it might be considered some sort of exercise. I'm mowing a couple acers. What do ya all think?

Replies

• kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    well you are able to log it under activity, so sure =)
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Even sitting still and doing nothing can burn calories....do you have a HRM? If so, log it....I know that I log when I mow my lawn however I have a push mower.
  • PContreras8
    Options
    I count it as just that "Mowing Lawn" I wear a heart rate monitor while cutting the grass and average about 150-225 cals for 25 mins.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I push mow, but when I was entering my time on the mower into MFP this morning there was a riding mower option already established under cardio.... so sure!!
  • levigal
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :-)

I lookedd under cardio but didn't see anything listed. I will look again under riding mower.

I don't have a HRM....I'm assuming thats a heart rate monitor. Do u have to order them online?
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you want to log. You burn calories just by breathing. This is a PERSONAL thing, so do not be offended and I am NOT saying that YOU shouldnt log it, but......... I dont log stuff like mowing grass, cleaning my office, etc just because it doesnt get MY heart rate up enough for me to count it. My resting HR is in the upper 50s.
    HOWEVER,when I golf, i will add that because on the many occasions when I have worn my HRM while golfing, I found my heart rate at or above 100 for the better part of 3-4 hours. Thats probably due to all the time I spend looking for my ball!! Although my HRM may tell me I burned 2000 calories doing so, I will usually only count 1000 of it due to my BMR.
    So, if you feel like it does a number on you, then by all means, count that!!