shin splints

Options
ive been working out everday for 2 weeks now and im pretty sure ive got shin splints on both legs... just wondering if anyone knows and stretches or something i can do to make it stop hurting!! haha

Replies

• militarywife100
    Options
    i meant ANY streatches.... lol
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    typos stink don't they!? Anyhow, There are a lot of different remedies, walking uphill backwards, pointing your toe and moving your leg/foot around as if you are writing the alphabet on the floor. the one that gave me the most relief was to fill some of those little tiny Dixie cups with water and then freezing them. Then take the cup and just slide it up and down your shins, peeling back the paper of the cup, continuing to rub up and down until all the ice has melted...
  • smithdnj
    Options
    I have them too, so I've just taken up other forms of exercise and decided that running isn't for me.. Probably not the answer you were looking for :P

I really prefer low impact stuff because of it.. bike or elliptical is great and doesn't kill me like running
  • wchrisparker
    wchrisparker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that mbcarren has said. I had to recover from shin splints and it is absolutely no fun whatsoever. I would of course make sure you are running in the proper shoes, that was my mistake. Sitting on a chair, lie a towel in front of your feet, and scrunch the towel with your toes. You can also try switching between normal walking, and walking on the heel of your feet when warming up. Also, believe it or not, standing with your legs at shoulder width a part and then crouching will work your shins. That one is pretty easy to feel. Just hold that position for a while, rest, and repeat.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ice, compression, rest! Compression sleeves/socks work well too!
  • datearunner
    Options
    The dixie cups is a great method to relieve the pain from shin splints. Also, try rolling them out with a rolling pin. It hurts like crazy, but it will help after a day or two. However, the only true way to completely get rid of shin splints is to stop running on them and let your legs rest. So I suggest you cross train; go biking or swimming for a week, then start running every other day, alternating between the low-impact and high-impact sports. The reason we get shin splints is adding too much running too fast and too hard, so you should try to incorporate running back into your workouts slowly and steadily. That way, you can reach a level where you run 8 or 10 miles a day and not feel a thing :) Hope you get better!
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    Good info on that website. I get them bad after about 5 minutes of treadmill and just have walked them out until about 30 minutes in they hurt.