I'm Drowning and I'm Afraid...

Options
I have been at this for a long time. Far longer than I would ever care to admit. I'm practically an expert on all things weight loss. I know exactly what to do to be healthy, but I constantly find myself drowning in the comfort of my own misery. Every now and then I get a taste of what life is like inside the "boat" - where I'm healthy and happy - but the minute I start to climb in, the waters grab me and pull me back out to sea.

It's interesting because I watch shows like The Biggest Loser and My 600 Pound life, and I'm saying the same thing everyone else is, "Put down the cookie!" "Don't eat the whole pizza!" Yet, I'm picking up the cookie and eating the pizza. No, I don't weigh 600 pounds but I've been slowly gaining and while I'm less than my highest weight - it's still not a good number. Truthfully, I need to lose 100 pounds.

I know what I need to do but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I'm literally scared of being healthy and being active and being anything other than what I've been for the past nineteen years of my life. That sounds so stupid, and I can justify it all day long - It's all I've ever really known and to change means that I'm going to have to work through things and suffer.

It's interesting because I suffer every day treading in the water of my misery. I suffer a poor self-image that I sabotage daily. I suffer lack of physical health as I cannot do many activities that don't involve sitting. My son pleas with me to chase him and play with him, but I'm a lump on a log. Inside it tears me up. I have a family history of diabetes and I'm on a rapid approach to that myself if I don't make the correct changes. I don't want to be diabetic, yet I don't want to put down the cookie because that means I'll have to endure the temptation and craving. I don't want that.

Yet, as I tread the waters of my misery I look up and see glimpses of what life could be like back on the boat. I see myself, happy and healthy. Not necessarily thin and beautiful - but confident and sure. I see myself playing with my son, being active, living life and making choices that are good for me and my family. Every now and then I get brave enough to try and climb into the boat and pursue that dream, but it doesn't take long before the misery disguises itself as a sweet melody that lulls me back into the despair once more. And so the cycle repeats over and over again.

I don't want to suffer, but as a friend recently pointed out to me - I've either got to suffer in the water or suffer in the boat. So where do I suffer? I'm afraid to make that decision, even though I know I'm making it every day when I choose to be unhealthy. I need to change my life. Not just a few small changes, but a massive overhaul. That terrifies me, and so I just sit in the water, treading and waiting - regretting nineteen years of bad choices that have lead me here.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I wanted to get this out though and see if maybe anyone else can relate or has any advice.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    The changes you're describing don't need to be drastic. Do you have a digital food scale? Have you started weighing and measuring all your food and drink? Do that and try to stay within your daily calorie goal. If you can, get up and take a short walk--15 min to start, if that's all you can do. After a week do 20 min a day. Then 30...... This is how you can change you're life. Sure, you've got to make some effort, but you've got a dream, so hang on to that and get going. Good luck.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    As stated above start small aim to stay positive!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    One of the fundamental things I changed this time was to stop thinking of myself as an expert in weight loss and recognize I was only an expert in how to fail. Once I realized it I used that 30 years of experience to start avoiding traps instead of racing into them.

For me there is no boat and no water. There is only trying to live a normal life and nudging what is normal in increments so that it does not feel foreign. That is what making small changes over time does. If you change too much and it feels foreign you will resist it and find yourself wanting to return to normal.

It should not be hard everyday. It will be hard some days. Some days will be hard for reasons other than weight loss. Even that is normal.

What does not matter is weight loss efficiency. What matters is how easy it is to lose the next pound not how fast. Sustainability is what keeps it from being a boat and water scenario.

Try to keep your thoughts in the present. What matters is today. Get through today in a calorie deficit and try to be as happy as possible doing it. Whether or not you are successful start tomorrow and go again.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Throw out the TV and find other activities.