Great During the Day - Fall Apart at Night

Options
Just wondering if anyone else the same problem. During the day I do great, I eat well and keep my calories down... but at night .. sometimes in the middle of the night.. i get up and snack! Last night I got up and ate almost a whole bag of chips! Gained like 0.2 pounds... so not bad, but can't help think... "If I didn't eat that damn bag of chip!" I always feel that after working so hard all day I go and ruin it! Feeling a little frustrated... as you can see!!

Janet

Replies

• SarahSarcasmX
    SarahSarcasmX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the same problem. I miss my evening snacks...and sometimes without thinking, I will grab a bag of potato chips and start chowing down. Ugh.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do the SAME THING!! I am golden until after dinner and then I want to snack and drink wine! I have started brewing very flavorful berry teas (I love the Blueberry one from Celestial Seasonings) and eating frozen grapes at night. They are satisfyingly crunchy and sweet, so they seem to take the edge off. But no, you are definitely not the only one struggling with snacking at night!!!
  • why dont u eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks and if u cant live without eating before bed have some super like a bowl of cerial or somthing but make your cals form around it and plan in advance and go for a long night walk or somthing
  • why dont u eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks and if u cant live without eating before bed have some super like a bowl of cerial or somthing but make your cals form around it and plan in advance and go for a long night walk or somthing
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    100 calories snack packs! Love the oreo crisps...chocolate goodness with a crunch like chips! Also snackwells fudge drizzled caramel corn!
  • WeighAhead
    WeighAhead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Same here, one thing I have found that has helped is to (try to anyway) eat high fiber foods throughout the day. Fiber helps to slow down digestion, and can make you feel more full. I like Kashi and Fiber One cereals, both are high in fiber and fairly low in calories. Good luck on your journey!
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    I have the same problem. I learned in a self control class that to end a bad habit you have to change your environment and routine, and substitute the bad habit for a different one. And that habits don't disappear they just get substituted. So instead of snacking, try chewing on a piece of gum or something etc.
  • dungardove
    Options
    oh Janet, I hear you. I'm so good during the day, I sicken myself:grumble::grumble: but on the strike of 8pm the hunger gremlins set in and I can't be filled. Currently, I'm also in weight watchers so I eat a lot of my daily allowance in the evening. Recently I've discovered that Murray MInts are not that high in calories and only 4 ww propoints plus you get great 'mileage' out of them. Your jaws are so sore from crunching and munching on them :happy: , you're quite tired out afterwards:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Best of luck with healthy eating plan. This is a great site, people are so friendly and supportive :flowerforyou:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Save extra calories for evening snacks or just workout more.
  • smscj
    Options
    shop when you are full so as not to buy the chips. save the day snack for evenings. good luck
  • rsqsquad05
    Options
    I do my workout at night which helps tremendously ..afterward I don't want whatever bad food I'd been craving and if I did I sure as heck wouldn't want to ruin all the work I JUST got done doing. I follow that with a protein shake and I couldn't eat anything if I tried! Also the obvious..don't keep the chips and bad stuff in the house. You know you probably wont drive to the store at 8:00pm to buy that bag of chips...instead you will just eat the yogurt, apple, carrot sticks ;) Good luck!!
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...I work night shift, so on nights when I'm off, I eat out of boredom. I will usually resort to a bowl of Special K. Cereal seems to accomplish two things: carbs make me sleepy for some reason, so if I fall asleep, at least the last thing I ate was not a BAD snack. Just redirect the types of snacks you eat. If you are a volume eater, find something that you can eat a LOT of but not sacrifice too many calories.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you cannot control eat the whole bag of chips, don't buy it. If you can get it at home, then you won't eat it.

Do you have hard time to fall asleep or fall back to sleep at night? For me, once I brush my teeth before bed, I hate eating anything.

Treat yourself thru out the day with healthier snacks, don't wait to the end of the day to do so.

Good luck.
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    I was hoping to see some diaries --- I have always had that problem, till I started on MFP. I really was very bad about craving wine and snacks. Even if I ate dinner and got stuffed, I would cruise in and out of the snack drawer. And I most certainly could drink a whole bottle of wine. I don't do either one anymore - at all!! To me it's a miracle, I never expected that behavior to stop. But it did, without discomfort or effort. I even enjoy one or two or three adult beverages without feeling the compulsion to kill the bottle, drink till I pass out or eat the whole snack drawer- that has been a burden I have carried for a very long time,and to be without that bondage is amazing to me.....The only things I do differently now at night are this: I have changed my goals to lose only 1/2 lb/wk, so I am eating 1650 calories a day, I eat a more carby snack about 4 in the afternoon (Luna bar), and I eat a substantial evening meal of high protein, low carb -- lots and lots of veggies on that plate, with about 4 oz meat, and little to no carbs. But only the evening meal. Throughout the day I am eating carbs -fruits and grains and such, with the Luna bar 4 pm snack. I believe that my metabolism has reset itself, and my body does not believe that it's going to go without anymore, and I am starting to find my weight loss "groove"-- is it possible that you are not eating enough food in the afternoon?