Weight loss at in your 6O's

Options
I have been working at this for a long time losing weight. At this time in our lives it is a struggle. I have not weighed what I weigh now since I was in my 30's. I feel good but for my health I will lose more. The past few weeks with this virus going around it's been more of a struggle but I'm keeping up with it not giving up and wanting to lose more. I have lost 55 lbs so far and on my way to lose what I can. One thing I do is walk everyday if I can and that helps. I have used my fitness pal to keep track of how much I eat this way I see how much I'm eating. If you want to work at this please let me know. Linda

Replies

• joy4strength
    joy4strength Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi linda7i3i. Could you share more about how you eat? Did you cut way back on the calories? I am 59 and I can not lose a lb. Mostly because I can't get motivated, because I see no progress.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi linda7i3i & joy4strength!
    @linda, how long have you been working on those 55 lbs? I started 7/1/19 and just hit the 60 lb mark this week.
    @joy, it really is all about counting calories: what you eat & what you burn.
    MFP has really help me stay on track too. Several MFP users load their calories in before they eat and that is a very good tip.

• joy4strength
    Options
    teresadannar
    I guess I just need to stick with it and not give up so easily. I need to lose 60 lbs and it feels so overwhelming.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @joy4strength, you are where I was at last July and I promise if I can stick to it, you will be able to also! Just plan on taking it day by day. There's no bad days or cheat days, you just might go over your limit for a day, but look at a week view and let your calories average out for the week. Do you know how many calories you are supposed to consume to lose 1-2lbs a week to start out?
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Watching calories and using the calories on healthy foods is a big thing for me but I also have to exercise or move everyday. I prefer in a pool to ease pain but that's out until my YMCA re-opens. I walk daily and try to add something else from dancing, youtube, or lawnmowing and gardening. Keeps me out of kitchen!
  • joy4strength
    Options
    @joy4strength, you are where I was at last July and I promise if I can stick to it, you will be able to also! Just plan on taking it day by day. There's no bad days or cheat days, you just might go over your limit for a day, but look at a week view and let your calories average out for the week. Do you know how many calories you are supposed to consume to lose 1-2lbs a week to start out?

To lose 2 lbs 1200 calories
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options

To lose 2 lbs 1200 calories

If you need to lose 60 pounds, 2 pounds a week may be more aggressive than ideal. I get that you're very eager to lose fast - aren't we all? ;) - but slower can be not only easier, but involve less health risk.

Losing fast risks losing more muscle than necessary alongside fat (and we need all the muscle we can hang onto, at this stage**, because it's slow/hard to regain), and can result in fatigue or more serious health problems. If someone is severely obese, to the point of weight being a major acute health risk in itself, fast loss can be the lesser of the two risks. At lower weights, that's less true.

I know you're frustrated by slow progress, which is understandable . . . but relatively easy slow and steady progress can be more effective than attempts at fast loss that burn out quickly because they're hard to stick with. Maybe try a pound a week for a while, see if that can be done easily?

Just some thoughts.

In case it helps, this is the eating approach I used to lose weight, and now use to maintain:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

** I'm 64 now, lost about 50 pounds using MFP at age 59-60, from class 1 obese to healthy weight (while hypothyroid, if that matters), and have been maintaining a healthy weight (mid-130s pounds at 5'5") since, the same way.