Any healthy Chicken or Vegetable Curry Recipes?

Options
heatherutopia
heatherutopia Posts: 78 Member
Hi guys! Curry is one of my favourite foods but all the ready made ones are just SO bad for you.. does anyone have any tips for a great, tasty, healthy curry either completley veggie, or with chicken?

Thank you..... <3

(P.S ... if anyone is looking for more support feel free to add me :)!!)

Replies

• BeccaAnderton
    Options
    http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/philadelphia3/page?siteid=philadelphia3-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=609&rid=61

I haven't actually tried it yet, making it tomorrow for the first time, but philadelphia recipes are usually yummy, and there's plenty of room left over for rice/quinoa/couscous/whatever you fancy with it :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Use cauliflower - its awesome in curries. Also use reduced fat coconut milk and you are sorted. :)
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    We had chicken Biryani this week which came in at 316 cals per portion.

3 large red onions diced, saute in 1 tsp olive oil
    350g skinless chicken breast,
    2 tbs Biryani seasoning
    add both of above to the onions, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
    400g diced peppers
    200g peas frozen or fresh
    400g chopped tomatoes fresh or tinned
    cooked brown rice ( raw weight 250g)
    add the last 4 items to the pan abd bring to the boil, reduce heat simmer for 5 minutes.

this amount served 4 for dinner, and to lunch portions for the next day.

hope you give it a go.
    enjoy
  • mags2504
    Options
    bump
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Two recipes for you:

The first is a morrocan-style dish called Couscous with Seven Vegetables, and can be found on the Clean Eating Magazine website. It's not quite curry per se, but it's one of my favorite recipes (and the most frequently made recipe this year!): You can omit the fish, or substitute cooked chicken:

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Couscous-with-Seven-Vegetables.aspx

I also LOVE this one, adapted from Rachael Ray's 365 cookbook

Fruited Chicken Curry

Serves: 4

~2 cups rice (I like a mix of brown basmati and wild)
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into ½ inch slices across the width of the breast
    coarse salt and coarse black pepper
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    2 tbsp ground coriander
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 large green apple, peeled and diced
    2 tbsp whole wheat flour
    2 cups chicken stock (I use water)
    2 tbsp red curry paste (or 3-4 tbsp curry powder)
    ¼ cup golden raisins (sometimes I use chopped dates

Prepare the rice according to the package directions.Preheat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and lightly brown. Remove the chicken and reserve on a plate. To the same pan, add the garlic, ginger, coriander, onions, apples and remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté together for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring to a bubble. Add the curry paste and golden raisins. Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan. Simmer the curry for 8 to 10 minutes.

Serve the curry over rice. Garnish with toasted coconut, cilantro, mango chutney, almonds or whatever you wish!
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    MMM these sound yummy! Does anyone know any more tomatoey based currys? I have some veg i need to use up too - aubergine, courgette, butternut squash, pepper and onion...
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    *little bump*
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • lavendaar
    Options
    mmm sounds good!
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    Any more suggestions lovelies?
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    Hi There,
    We had chicken Biryani this week which came in at 316 cals per portion.

3 large red onions diced, saute in 1 tsp olive oil
    350g skinless chicken breast,
    2 tbs Biryani seasoning
    add both of above to the onions, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
    400g diced peppers
    200g peas frozen or fresh
    400g chopped tomatoes fresh or tinned
    cooked brown rice ( raw weight 250g)
    add the last 4 items to the pan abd bring to the boil, reduce heat simmer for 5 minutes.

this amount served 4 for dinner, and to lunch portions for the next day.

hope you give it a go.
    enjoy

MMmm this sounds lovely!
  • Bachoy1973
    Options
    This recipe was great! Her chicken tikka masala was awesome too!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/chicken-curry-with-coconut-milk-43-pts.html
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    MMM these sound yummy! Does anyone know any more tomatoey based currys? I have some veg i need to use up too - aubergine, courgette, butternut squash, pepper and onion...

Chop and fry onions in some oil, the more onion you use the thicker the sauce willl be. When the onions start browning add your curry powder (and any other spices you might like to use, like cumin), use as much as you prefer the taste of.

When this turns into a paste consistency add your veg and some chopped garlic, coat the veg and fry for a further couple of mins, then add your tomatoes and water if needed. Leave to simmer for upto one hour, check frequently to make sure it's not drying out too much, add a little water if needed.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like to mix about a cup of fat free greek yogurt, a couple tbs of honey or agave, and curry powder, throw in some chicken pieces and marinate overnight or for a few hours, then just dump it all in a pan or bbq, season to taste.

Last time I made this I put a ton of veggies in a pan then added the chicken and a big pile of collard greens on top, it was really good.

Ven
  • naptural1
    naptural1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi A excellent source for great healthy recipes is The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. "Indian Curry with Chicken page 344.

1 14oz can whole tomatoes 2 1/2 tbs canola oil, 4 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp garam marsala, 1 onion minced, 1 jalapeno seeded mincedd, 3 garlic cloves minced, 1 tbs tomato paste, 1 cup water, 1 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast, 1/2 head cauliflower abt 3 cups cut in florets, 1 cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt, 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro..salt.

Pulse tomatoes or chop til no large chunks. Heat oil in Dutch oven medium heat, add curry powder & garam marsala, cook abt 30 secs, add onion cook til soft 5 mins, stir in jalapenos, ginger, garlic, paste, cook abt 30 secs, stir in water and chopped tomatoes.
    Add chicken and califlower bring to simmer. Cover and reduce heat to med-low, simmer 12-18 mins flipping breasts halfway thru cooking time then transfer to plate and shred into bite sized pieces. Return to pot stir in peas simmer 2 mins or until heated. Turn off heat and stir in yogurt and cilantro...salt to taste.

4 Servings 1 1/4 cup 330 cal. 12g fat, 2g sat.fat, 70mg chol, 23g carbs, 33g protein, 8g fiber 360g sodium.
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe from my healthy eating blog @ sophiessweeties.onsugar.com

Ingredients:
    2 C dahl (dry red lentils)
    2 T Thai red or green curry paste
    4-6 C water (depending on whether you like lentils thick or soupy)
    1 T curry powder
    1 large white onion (chopped)
    3 cloves garlic (minced)
    1 t ground cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t fresh ginger root (minced)
    1 t tumeric
    4 C spinach (chopped)
    1/2 C garbanzo beans
    1 t salt
    1 packet Splenda (or 1 t sugar)
    1/4 C tomato paste (dissolved in 1 C water)
    4 C cauliflower (steamed and then chopped)
    1 (5-6 oz.) container plain non-fat Greek yogurt
    chopped cilantro and/or lemon wedges for garnish

1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is very important!!!), then put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary).
    2. While the lentils are cooking: In a LARGE skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in Pam or in about 1/2 t extra virgin olive oil.
    3. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, Splenda (or sugar), garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the steamed cauliflower, garbanzo beans and spinach, and allow the mixture to meld. This is a great time to add chicken, shrimp, or tempeh to the mix.
    4. Stir in the dissolved tomato paste and reduce the heat. Let the curry base simmer on low until the lentils are ready.
    5. When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and stir in the yogurt. To serve, top the lentils with chopped cilantro and a lemon wedge. This is delicious paired with brown basmati rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/philadelphia3/page?siteid=philadelphia3-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=609&rid=61

I haven't actually tried it yet, making it tomorrow for the first time, but philadelphia recipes are usually yummy, and there's plenty of room left over for rice/quinoa/couscous/whatever you fancy with it :)

This was so good!!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i have seen some here previously. do a search. I know for sure there is a crock pot chicken/curry recipe.

If I have time later, I will seach-copy-paste for you. Super busy tonight though.