My birthday is coming, how do I not overdo it?

Options
My family is a bunch of food junkies. :frown: Thats how we celebrate, grieve, whatever. So, of course the big thing is going out for dinner. I have to tell you that since i'm always so hungry it makes it hard for me to even look at a restaurant...I haven't been out to eat since I decided to go through with this change on the 17th of February. I am terrified of going anywhere because even though they all love me, they have this way of minimizing what i'm doing...like, oh, its just this one day, you need to have what you want, you should have the cake, etc. I need help and support and i'm not sure what to do or where to go. I just feel like i'm headed for disaster this weekend. So if anyone has any ideas or advice, or maybe can give me some healthier options as far as restaurants go, I am open, willing, and thankful for anything!
Thanks for being so available, lol!
Kelli

Replies

• kelli_panzera
    Options
    My family is a bunch of food junkies. :frown: Thats how we celebrate, grieve, whatever. So, of course the big thing is going out for dinner. I have to tell you that since i'm always so hungry it makes it hard for me to even look at a restaurant...I haven't been out to eat since I decided to go through with this change on the 17th of February. I am terrified of going anywhere because even though they all love me, they have this way of minimizing what i'm doing...like, oh, its just this one day, you need to have what you want, you should have the cake, etc. I need help and support and i'm not sure what to do or where to go. I just feel like i'm headed for disaster this weekend. So if anyone has any ideas or advice, or maybe can give me some healthier options as far as restaurants go, I am open, willing, and thankful for anything!
    Kelli
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Kelli

call ahead to the restaurant, check out their figure friendly menu. Decide in advance what you will order, STICK to it, don't let the others bully you!! :laugh: have a small sliver of birthday cake, and don't be afraid to say no...it's ok to say it, you owe no one an explanation..happy birthday!:drinker:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    All I know is my birthday is coming up, and I am not stressing the food. One night wont kill you. And just remember, things that are yummy are just as good in little portions as they are in big ones. Try getting a salad first..eat that..then you will be too full to eat all the bad stuff..
  • septemberbride
    Options
    my co-worker and her husband decide in advance where they are going to eat. Then she looks the menu up online and compares the calories and selects her dish ahead of time. I hope this helps. I am new to this as of today actually.lol! good luck and HAPPY Early birthday...:bigsmile:
  • jelee18
    jelee18 Posts: 46
    Options
    Do your best to eat before you go. Have a salad and soup. Something to fill you up so that you don't overdue it at dinner. Dieting isn't about deprivation, but it is about portion control. Look for a restaurant that posts their menu and nutrional values online. Decide ahead of time what you are going to eat and do your best to stick with it. And when it comes to family ... make a joke of it ... something like "if you want me to be here for my next birthday you're going to have to support my decision to skip the extra whipped cream"
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Eat really good until then. Eat healthy the rest of the day and try and go workout too. Then just enjoy yourself at dinner. Don't go crazy, everything within moderation... but enjoy yourself. It is your birthday, and it is one meal. It isn't going to derail your efforts if you splurge this one time. Just get back on track as soon as that meal is done.

Good luck, have fun, and Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Or...suggest that you guys make food together!

My mom has a standing tradition for all of our bdays - we choose whatever we want for dinner and dessert, and she makes it.

My bday is the 13th, and I have her making me the Hungry Girl egg rolls with salad for dinner...then brownies and ice cream. I figure I'll fill up on the healthy dinner so I just have one brownie and a teeny bit of ice cream. I'll eat well before dinner - load up on veggies for lunch and healthy protein (like oatmeal and lowfat PB) for breakfast.
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    CHILIS HAS A GUILTLESS GRILL
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I second the "Eat before you go" Idea. It has saved me many a bad night.

heck the other night I even brought 2 of my 5 steak tips home for breakfast.
    and THAT is a first for me.
  • raelee
    raelee Posts: 10
    Options
    Applebee's has a lot of dinners that are between 350-450 calories. Go to calorieking.com to see them. They also have weight watchers approved desserts.:drinker:
    Happy Birthday!
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!!!

Eat before you go anywhere....that is my best advice.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Thanks so much to everybody for giving me advice I can follow. I'll probably do the eat before I go and then I won't be so apt to make bad choices. I'm also going to check out applebee's and chili's...that way there's a backup plan for healthier eating :tongue:
    I can't be scared of restaurants forever...I hope.
    Thanks guys!