So, I HAD to do Yoga...

Options
Y'all, I am not flexible, so doing yoga is NOT fun for me. I have been working out hard for a few weeks straight now (5-6 days at a time with 1-2 rest days in between) and had high hopes for a total body strength/heavy weights day today.

However, I just couldn't do it. I was feeling way to tight and felt like I might hurt something if I pushed through. So, I did about 60 min of an intense Yoga session. I fumbled and bumbled along since I'm not flexible and my balance isn't great, but hopefully it was worth it. I still got my sweat on and am now feeling fairly loose.

I know Yoga is still exercise, but for me it almost seems like taking a day off. Its frustrating when I want to go hard, but can't. I have high fitness goals and want to be able to push through. Hopefully, I'll be ready to go and make up for my lost strength training day tomorrow.

Replies

• angelcollinson
    angelcollinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body needs a break. I think it is really good that you listened to what your body was telling you. Its not worth an injury b/c that would only prevent you from reaching your goals.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am the same way as you. I HATE Yoga, but I am super inflexible. I TRIED to incorporate it in my first week at home, but only made it through 70 total minutes this week ( 1 60 min session and half a 20 mins session). It is my goal to try and stretch, foam roll, and YOGA a bit more over the next couple weeks.

I also love strength training. 5-6 days a week with a rest day every 5th day. I do upper/lower/upper/lower/rest, rinse and repeat. Walking and hiking while it's nice out :) home workouts are kicking my butt!!

• jezingmark05
    jezingmark05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 I think thats good advice. Thanks. I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to do yoga in a studio, that might be hilarious :p (not that we need to worry about that right now with the quarantine).

@alexmose How are you dealing with not having a gym to to do your strength training (assuming your gym is closed). Do you have a good bit of at home equipment?
  • jezingmark05
    Options

It made me laugh when you said “by doing yoga it seems like you’re taking the day off” 😂😂😂
    Don’t give up and keep practicing......and when you feel like giving up.....think about the benefits!

@miss_zita_2020 Sorry, No offense to all the Yoga lovers out there. I'm actually jealous :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t suggest starting with an intense 60 min yoga session anymore than I recommend starting any other activity with an intense 60 min session. My body always has a negative reaction to sudden changes. It’s ok to phase in more gradually, and often better. Just sayin.
  • jezingmark05
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I wouldn’t suggest starting with an intense 60 min yoga session anymore than I recommend starting any other activity with an intense 60 min session. My body always has a negative reaction to sudden changes. It’s ok to phase in more gradually, and often better. Just sayin.

Trust me, I was modifying quite a bit. I also have yoga blocks and many times I was doubling up those suckers, so I wouldn't have to bend over so far :p
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 I think thats good advice. Thanks. I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to do yoga in a studio, that might be hilarious :p (not that we need to worry about that right now with the quarantine).

@alexmose How are you dealing with not having a gym to to do your strength training (assuming your gym is closed). Do you have a good bit of at home equipment?

Hi! So I have a couple of resistance bands, the flimsy kind as 2 out of 5 snapped already :), one set of adjustable dumbbells with the weight selection of two 7.5klb and two 2.5lb weights, a chair, a 20lb suitcase full of shoes, a backpack to fill with books which can get Up to 20lbs, and 2 books I use for elevated heel squats. I also have a shower towel and a foam roller and a jump rope I have not touched. So, not much but it’s all about volume here. My hour workouts are now 1.5, yes I take some long breaks between sets. And my sets are now circuits, training antagonist muscles. I miss the gym and the weights like everyone else, but I’d love to come out of this with abs 😂 how about you?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not knocking yoga in the least, but if you feel that nervous about perceived tightness or injury I would strongly suggest using a template with auto regulation and appropriate volume for recovery.

Might also consider how effective your warm up is for strength training.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Y'all, I am not flexible, so doing yoga is NOT fun for me. I have been working out hard for a few weeks straight now (5-6 days at a time with 1-2 rest days in between) and had high hopes for a total body strength/heavy weights day today.

However, I just couldn't do it. I was feeling way to tight and felt like I might hurt something if I pushed through. So, I did about 60 min of an intense Yoga session. I fumbled and bumbled along since I'm not flexible and my balance isn't great, but hopefully it was worth it. I still got my sweat on and am now feeling fairly loose.

I know Yoga is still exercise, but for me it almost seems like taking a day off. Its frustrating when I want to go hard, but can't. I have high fitness goals and want to be able to push through. Hopefully, I'll be ready to go and make up for my lost strength training day tomorrow.

I do yoga for other reasons beyond flexibility. I find that it helps with my lung capacity for running. I also do it cause I have terribly tight hamstrings and hip flexors from running. I also think it helps me be mindful of my posture. I do count it as a rest day activity though. Is ski do really love some poses- all the warrior variations, pigeon pose, cobra, downward facing dog, and various twists feel downright heavenly. That said, 60 minutes of yoga sound pretty boring (sorry yoga friends!) I’d rather run any day...which clearly isn’t good to do daily either.

Keep doing what you’re doing ;)