Copper IUD Birth Control (not Mirena)

Options
I'm seriously considering going this route for my birth control and would really appreciate input/stories :)

I've been taking Loestrin 24 FE for about a year now and I really believe that the hormones mess me up. I've been taking the pill since I was 15 (to regulate my periods), and about 2 years ago I tried the Depo-Provera shot. The shot was literally one of the worst decisions of my life. I developed PMDD from it and serious mood swings/depression for a period of time (gone now), which is why my gyno put me on Loestrin 24 FE. However, since I started taking it I've noticed a lot of hormonal side effects as well.

The copper IUD is called ParaGard and I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience with it if you have it or have used it!!!

Replies

• mlcastillo_2
    Options
    hello-
    ive had the copper iud since 2005 and let me tell you that its been working for me great! no mood swings no nothing. um- some women experience heavy flows with it but thats not my case. i think you should try it!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I was seriously considering this BC method too.But my GYN refused to do it since i haven't had children. (despite me never wanting children of my own) Looking online I've seen great stories but others that were a bit scary of it puncturing the uterus. I've heard mixed stories about the pain of them putting it in though. I say do your research and talk to your GYN about it if you still really like it.
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have it. Absolutely LOVE it. Best decision ever.
    I had terrible migraines for years using birth control. But since I've had it (I got it in April), I haven't had a migraine since.

I signed up for the payment plan on the Paragard website, so they charge me about $60/month for one year, which I thought was totally a good deal. My university health clinic inserted it for free.

The actual insertion was painful, as I'm sure you've read stories about. But it only hurts for a few seconds. It definitely hurts though. I felt like I might pass out. It took about a day to recover. I just laid in bed and watched movies.
    But really, the pain was not unbearable. You can totally do it!

The first couple of periods were SUPER heavy. Like lots and lots of blood. And it lasted MUCH longer. I usually had 2-3 day periods, and then they were like 5-6 days long. It seems like now things are evening out again. My periods are still much heavier, but only lasting like 3-4 days now.

Anyway, feel free to private message me if you have any other questions....
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, by the way... I had a terrible experience with Depo too. Put me in the hospital for anxiety and severe depression. That **** is absolutely scary and should be taken off the market.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have had no problems with it always been a bit psyco on anything hormone based so its nice just to feel normal. Took a while to convince my Dr to let me have it as the nhs rather you have the hormone one but I kept on and got it.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    wtf is this topic even doing here in general diet and weight loss help? Can't you just keep that stuff on facebook?

tmi anyway.
  • ladyjessa2
    Options
    I had one, it worked fabulous, I never had the initial pain others seem to report and it kept my periods regular. I opted for paraguard because it is a 10 year IUD versus the 5 year Mirena type and my husband and I had decided we were done having kids. Life was grand all the way up until I got pregnant 2 1/2 years into it. Had an ultrasound to see if it was an eutopic pregnancy and where the IUD was positioned, it was where it was supposed to be supposidly doing its job. In my opinion its a wonderful birth control option just keep in mind that there is a 1 in 10,000 (something like that) chance of failure.

busywaterbending > a woman's birth contol choices can have an impact on her weight loss, many women experience weight gain as a result of taking hormone based pills. Thus far there has been nothing offensive or remotely graphic posted in the thread, just a simple question and some answers. The topic was farily obvious as to the content so if you are offended why not just use the magic scroll button in the corner of your screen and roll on by?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I had the Copper IUD for about 18 months and I had horrible issues with my period. It was SOOOO heavy when I had the IUD and my periods went from 4 days long to 10 days long. My doctor said it would get better, but it never did get any lighter for me. In the end I just have it taken out and had my tubes 'tied'(they actually burn them shut and don't tie them anymore). But I am think it is rare that people have issues.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    wtf is this topic even doing here in general diet and weight loss help? Can't you just keep that stuff on facebook?

tmi anyway.

Forum police?
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had Yazmin to regulate my Ovarian Cysts in 2005 and within a year I gained 30 pounds and said no more to hormones and from then on I have always used the copper iud... completely worth it.. mine always fall out tho... The first one fell out after 8 months and then I just left it out and ended up getting pregnant a month and a half later (which was fine cause we weren't trying to not get pregnant) and the when that baby was born in september I got one again in October 2009 and that one lasted untill march of this year untill it fell out.... so I don't know if there is huge risk of them falling out but just know it can happen and you have to pay to get another one... But I love the copper Iud
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have it. I've had it since June 2007 and LOVE it... it was the best birth control decision I've ever made. I tried the pill before, hated having to remember it and my body can't do artificial hormones. They make me break out and go crazy. I tell everyone how amazing it is.. When I got it inserted, I had minimal cramping and light spotting, but the next day it was fine. Can't even tell it's there and my fiance can't feel it either (which I know some people worry about). And the DR told me if he could, they can just cut the strings shorter. You're suppose to check it once a month right after your period, but I always forget, plus it kind of grosses me out lol. I would definitely say go for it.

And I've heard a lot about Mirena causing weight gain, the shot causing weight gain or even the pill causing weight gain, but with this you don't have to worry about that. I do think there may be a higher chance of developing ovarian cysts with it, but I had cysts at 15 which have disappeared and haven't gotten any back.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had a ParaGard IUD for about 10 months. I didn't have any problems with insertion/removal, or any strange side effects.

However, I had VERY heavy bleeding (which lasted around 10 days each month) and bad cramps, neither of which I had experienced before. I was also told that it would probably diminish, but after nearly a year, it hadn't. So I switched to the Mirena and was much more comfortable (and then had that one removed after a few months because we decided to try for another baby, LOL).
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Here's my fair warning. My mother had the copper IUD and her body rejected it slowly, hence getting pregnant with my brother. She had the new one put in after my brother was born and her body rejected it also, hence I came along! After that she had enough of birth control and trying not to get pregnant and had her tubes cut, burned, and tied.
  • hannahmayr30
    hannahmayr30 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have it and I LOVE it!! I had Mirena between my first and second child and it was horrible so I was a little nervous to try the Paragaurd. It was the best decision ever. My first few periods were really heavy but it has gotten better over the past few months. I would recommend it to anyone!
  • katiesergio
    katiesergio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 18, no children and I got the copper iud put in two months ago. I've tried lots of birth controls, depo, the pill, the mini pill, nuva ring. I gained weight on almost all of them and they all had horrible side effects. Migraines, weight gain, moodiness, awful bleeding etc. My obgyn recommended the copper iud since it has no hormones. I got two other opinions and both doctors agreed. To my understanding, the whole thing with not wanting to give an iud without having children is really something that was practiced in the past, when the iud wasn't as good as it is now. There are a lot of very smart doctors out there who agree with giving someone without children an iud. Anyways, insertion wasn't great. It was very crampy and uncomfortable. I've had worse though. And the next two days weren't great. But I went to the mall and went shopping the same day, if that tells you anything. I still have random occasional cramps but nothings too horrid. The first period I had with the iud was more crampy than normal but things have straightened out. Also, since there are no hormones, your body is running on its natural cycle. So any moodiness, or other side effects (besides abdominal pain) you have really cannot be related to the iud, since it is just a piece of copper without hormones.

I freaked myself out by researching on the internet too much before I got mine put in. But something that I have come to realize is that you hear about the horror stories a lot more than you do the good stories.

Anyways theres my little story! You should certainly get the iud. Especially if you are sick of hormones. Its very effective and lasts ten years! (and you can get it taken out)
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used birth control (including Loestrin) for years with no troubles. I opted for the Paragard when my daughter was just a few months old because I was still nursing and wanted something non-hormonal. HATED IT. My periods were AWFUL, I was bleeding through a super plus tampon in less than an hour for the first day of my cycle.

I had it removed after 6 months, went on estrogen-free BCPs and then ended up having my tubes tied another 6 months later.

If I were going with the IUD again I would choose Mirena, but again, I have never had issues with hormonal birth control causing me side effects.

The issue around IUDs and women who have not given birth is simply related to the cervix. If it has never been dilated during childbirth, it makes insertion much more painful. I took 2 Advil before mine and it was a breeze.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have ParaGuard, it hurt like crazy getting it put in and i have had 2 children BUT the pain only last momentarily and it was completely worth it, Ive had Mirena before and it was awful, my husband could feel the strings and i had awful side effects. No side effects from ParaGuard though, a little heavier flow but it has been wonderful so far, ive had it for about 6 weeks. Id go for it, my insurance completely covered the cost so yours may too. good Luck!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone :) I think I'm going to go to my doctor and get some more info...but I'm leaning towards getting it because I'm really hating my BC pills haha.