Calories

Options
If i eat 1,200 calories a day how many should i burn to lose 1-2 pounds a week? (I exercise 4-5 days a week and burn about 600 calories a day, and eat 1,200 a day should i burn more im so confused.

Replies

• usmcnas
    usmcnas Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Needed to hear this ive been feeling light headed lately and cant stop sleeping but I’m not that hungry anymore and im dropping weight fast. I would like to go on a deficit but i dont know how i should do that.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,223 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say you burn 600 calories a day? Through exercise?

You're burning a lot more than that a day, you're burning those exercise calories on top of what your body burns just to stay alive and your day to day activities (which is already at least 1500 calories, if not more, depending on your weight, age,...).

If you are currently eating 1200 calories and exercising that much, no wonder you're lightheaded and tired, you're starving yourself.

As others have already said, enter your stats into MFP and let it calculate how many calories you need. It will be more than 1200. Heck I'm a 5ft4 woman and I'm eating 1900 calories on average and still losing weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Whatever you're doing, stop, and think and understand what you should do.

You're not feeling hungry (because your body is temporarily protecting your ability to go hunt food). You're feeling faint and soon you will feel tired as your body will try to shut you down to conserve energy.

Your current plan sucks in terms of you achieving your goals and maintaining your weight.

Stop. Eat at least 2,000 Cal for a few days without going nuts on the exercise (closer to 2500 if you continue with exercise), and read some more before restarting.

Your goals already include the deficit you need to lose weight.

You're supposed to eat back (offset) any actual exercise or activity Calories that were not included in your selected activity level, otherwise you'll lose faster than you should, negatively impacting your health and ability to retain lean mass.

You do want to mostly lose fat, right?

Somebody will hopefully post a graph with suggested suitable rates of loss based on lbs left to goal.

Just because 2lbs is "generally safe" this does not mean it is optimal or even "safe for everyone".

(While on MFP losing weight, admittedly with an activity level just above MFP's very active, I averaged 2560 Cal of intake losing ~72.5lbs and 2911 Cal of intake losing another 13.8lbs, so no, eating 1500 was not necessary, even in my late 40s/early 50s. Based on standard equations, the equations seem to predict my weight changes within 5%, so I am an average/tinge below average calorie burner, not as good a one as Anne )