Low Blood Pressure & Sodium Intake

Options
I have consistently lower blood pressure, usually around 100/60, and I have my sodium set to 2300. I almost always get close to or go over this amount, but my blood pressure is fine. I actually took it today and it was 95/55.
Should I stop watching sodium if it's not harming my blood pressure? I do love my salty foods!

Replies

• Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sodium also causes water retention.

i have low blood pressure too & i keep a close eye on my sodium
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Nice job on the blood pressure =] I would just watch it so you don't go too over because for me it's not about blood pressure either it's about feeling bloated and crappy lol
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you exercise a lot, 90/60 is not bad... especialy if it is not constantly that figure at rest... I have ben told that by a cardiac nurse...I have some background on that subject. Feel free to ook at my profile...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure too - about the same as yours. I don't watch sodium super closely, but I have noticed that some days things taste really salty (like my body has enough/too much sodium and doesn't want any more) and other days the same things taste really good, as if my body is wanting/needing the sodium.

The link between sodium and high blood pressure is pretty tenuous. I remember learning in a foods/nutritions college course that only a small % of the population is actually affected by sodium, as far as blood pressure, but there is no good way to determine whom, so everyone is told to watch sodium intake. This was 10 years ago, so may be totally wrong now!!
    But really, sodium affects more than our blood pressure (especially water retention). We need some but not a lot. So, maybe you don't have to track your sodium here, but don't look at that as a carte blanche to eat all the salty, sodium filled junk you want, either. :tongue:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have had high blood pressure, and lowering the sodium has cut my meds in half. That is my experience. I also take chondroitin for joint pain, yet you would be hard pressed to find a doctor that will prescribe it. Like most things, certain bodies are more sensitive to certain elements. If you take your BP every day (am and pm) you'll see some trending. It will usually be higher in the morning and after a workout, which is pretty normal. If you are getting dizzy when you stand up, you should probably see a doctor and ask a lot of questions.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i watch my sodium but dont obsess over it. i have always had low bp similar to yours and have to get my 10-12 glasses of water in or im in trouble, esp in hot weather.