Eating healthy when fam don’t

Options
Do you guys live with others not eating healthy? If so, how do you avoid temptation? My husband buys chips, butter, cookies, and other things that tempt me. I’ve already spoken to him about it and he’s cut out buying a lot of other junk snacks, but he still buys some. I would understand if he was actually eating that junk food, but most of the time it stays in the pantry for a month before I give in and eat it! 😣😔

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Zobooda wrote: »
    Do you guys live with others not eating healthy? If so, how do you avoid temptation? My husband buys chips, butter, cookies, and other things that tempt me. I’ve already spoken to him about it and he’s cut out buying a lot of other junk snacks, but he still buys some. I would understand if he was actually eating that junk food, but most of the time it stays in the pantry for a month before I give in and eat it! 😣😔

I get it. Truly. It makes it so much harder to lose weight when the people around you, your support system, aren't entirely on board with doing the same things.
    But its unfair to ask him to completely cut things he likes out of his life for the sake of your self control.
    Also, healthy is subjective. Its all about perspective. You can still have some of those things, just be careful of how much. Variety is not a terrible thing. Unless you're one of those that doesn't have the ability to stop, and having one taste just makes you crave more.

I would say, from personal experience, ask him if he would be okay buying the same junk, but in single serve portions. Like, chips and crackers and even some types of cookies come in little single serve packs. It makes it much easier for me to keep track of and to stop myself from having more. Or, if that doesn't work for you, ask him if he would be alright with hiding them or locking them up where you can't see or get to them. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,421 Member
    Options
    It’s tough, for sure! My husband is the same. I’ve tried all of the above but in reality temptation is all around and I have to learn how to be okay with seeing stuff I enjoy eating and taking a bite or two only or walking away completely. It isn’t easy but you can do it.
  • Lady___
    Lady___ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I had the same problem, but at work. My supervisor has always rewarded us with food-mostly pizza, cookies, or candy. Its always hard to resist at first, but after a month or two of my weight loss journey Im no longer tempted by it. I know that its not going to help me lose weight, so I dont even crave it anymore and have no problem walking away from it. Now, when she gives me cinnamon bread or chocolate miniatures, I give it away to someone else who can eat it. I have the same bag of jolly ranchers in my car that I use to eat everyday, but havent touched them since I began my journey. So what Im saying is, you will get to the point where you no longer want the bad foods. In the meantime, hopefully your husband will hide them from you. Good luck, you can do this!
  • Zobooda
    Zobooda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love the idea of the single serving option! I immediately asked my husband if he would do that and he agreed. Hopefully I’ll get use to seeing that stuff and be able to not go overboard with eating it. At least if I do it’s a small serving size.
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,421 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad you found an option that works for both you and your husband. 🥳