c25k ~~ Goal to run a 5K

Options
:happy: I just started the Couch to 5k program and I am loving it!!! The first day was a little rough for a non runner/jogger but my daughter is helping me and encouraged me to keep going! Day 2 was a lot better! Looking forward to day 3 and beyond! Anyone else out there who is using this program? Would love to hear some tips and hear about your progress.

Replies

• JMuzzy
    Options
    i am on wk3, day 2 and loving it as well!!!
    congrats to you!

:flowerforyou:

http://onethirty.tumblr.com/
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Did it last year, great program! I was able to do it in 9 weeks and ran my first of many 5K's about a month later. Currently working toward a 1/2 marathon...all because of C25K!
    For advice, stick with it...don't count yourself out, push yourself and you will be surprised how much you can do. Take your rest days, stretch out after your runs and start making plans for your first race so that you can celebrate how far you have come!
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and I loved it! I had started walking/running on my own at the track. I would walk 1/2 a lap then jog 1/2 a lap. By the time I found the program I picked it up around week 5. I did it based on distance, not time because I wanted to make sure I could run an entire 5k by the time the program was over. I ran my first 5k last June and I finished just under 35 minutes. This year I did the same 5k and finished just under 32 minutes. I have a 5k next Saturday and I would LOVE to come in under 30 minutes! Then on the 17th it's my first 10k!!!

Stick with the program! It made me a runner!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :happy: I just started the Couch to 5k program and I am loving it!!! The first day was a little rough for a non runner/jogger but my daughter is helping me and encouraged me to keep going! Day 2 was a lot better! Looking forward to day 3 and beyond! Anyone else out there who is using this program? Would love to hear some tips and hear about your progress.

Finished it last week and this week started the bridge to 10K. Its a great little program that will have you running 5k in no time.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Works like a charm. Could not recommend it more!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was up to Week 6, Day 1 and then I had a bout with chronic headaches and then a spider bite on my leg which made it hard to even walk. Today I decided to start up again but went back to Week 5, Day 1 because I had been off for two weeks. I thought, I will do what I can and if I can't make it, that's ok. Well, I DID make it! I was so proud of how far I have come on the program. I used to be a runner in high school, but literally took off um...16 years from it, so it's been tough to get going again. C25k totally works! I have a race on September 24th and am hoping to be able to run the whole thing without stopping to take any walk breaks! Good luck!
  • akburmeister
    Options
    I did it last year and LOVED IT! I got up to running about 5 miles at a stretch then totally fell off the wagon :( BOO! BUT I picked it back up and now I'm on W3D2 (just like someone else here that posted) I absolutely love it and I love it because it's helping my dog improve her endurance so I can take her on longer runs! I have the app for my iPod which provides prompts for when you run/walk and you can play it with music... love it!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    good luck! i did c25k and am so glad that i found it through mfp! id never have thought in a million years that i could run 5k and 10k! but i can and so will you! keep perservering with the programme. the 3 min runs were a killer for me so push through that and after that its all plain sailing :)
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    I loved it!!! I did the program last year and I can still easily run 3.1 miles. :) I did a 10k earlier this year and hoping to do a half marathon next year! Enjoy it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I did it earlier this year and went from a non-runner to running a 12k race, last weekend, now I'm training for a half marathon!
    My best tips:
    - get good shoes (and for ladies, a sports bra).
    - run slowly. Build up your endurance first, speed will follow.
    - don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you aren't ready to move on.
  • arbonnefit
    arbonnefit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am certain you will hit your goal ~ Wooohooo!!! :happy:
  • arbonnefit
    Options
    I did it last year and LOVED IT! I got up to running about 5 miles at a stretch then totally fell off the wagon :( BOO! BUT I picked it back up and now I'm on W3D2 (just like someone else here that posted) I absolutely love it and I love it because it's helping my dog improve her endurance so I can take her on longer runs! I have the app for my iPod which provides prompts for when you run/walk and you can play it with music... love it!
  • arbonnefit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! You all seem to have really enjoyed the c25k program! I tried to post individually BUT have no idea how to do that!!! Was out to dinner tonight with friends and stayed within my calories for the day so def. putting a big "W" in the win column for today! Hope everyone else had a successful day but if not the real blessing is that we all get to do it again tomorrow :) Tomorrow is my W1D3 so I am looking forward to that, will have ot get it done early b.c I am heading up to help those that were so badly impacted by Hurrican Irene. Keep them all in your prayers! Night all .............
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i just started this week and it's feeling good so far! =D
  • floydash
    Options
    congradulations =) i'm a bk (below knee) amputee i run on the precore machine 3miles a day..i'm hoping to racey bike in october.. floyd
  • schieca
    schieca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish I was closer to run with you guys!! Good luck tomorrow, keep me posted - Love you & love to SCHOHARIE!!
  • msbanan
    msbanan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just finished week 5 of c2k5. I was really intimidated by the 20 min run on day 3 but I did it. :) I start week 6 tomorrow and have 6 weeks till my 5k. This program really works! I also went to runningintoshape.com and downloaded music podcasts. She tells you when to run and plays upbeat music to keep you going. I'm just returning to mfp because I feel like the excess weight is hurting my running and am not losing in spite of hitting the gym regularly.

Good luck and happy running!
  • arbonnefit
    Options
    W1D3 ~ C25K ......Tonight felt pretty good! Actually enjoyed being out there and was able to enjoy seeing the sun go down as I ran. At one point I started singing the Rocky theme song,My daughter Mary suggested we save that for week 8! :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I am beginning Week 6. I have my first 5K tomorrow. (I should have run today but, skipped due to the race tomorrow.) Love, Love, Love this program and tell everyone I can about it.

Good Luck!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the C25K program, but I know there's a big thread for the people who are:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/311661-c25k-starting-8-8-open-group-for-encouragement

I'm using an article that I read in Fitness magazine to train for mine in a month. The article can be read here:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/run-first-5k/

Best luck!!! Let us know how you do!:-D

Shannon