Paying membership fees for closed gyms?

For those of you who belong to gyms that are currently closed are you still being charged your monthly fee or are they offering some sort of compensation? I belong to Youfit and on their FB page members are going crazy because they are upset the gym is closed and they are still being charged. Part of me emphasizes with them and part of me thinks the $10-$20 the membership costs isn’t a huge deal *if* they will only be closed a short time. Because it’s literally out of their control. They obviously would be open if they were allowed to be. But, I also understand so many people have lost their jobs and every penny counts. I don’t know how the gyms will handle the overwhelming amount of people who want to pause or cancel the memberships all together. I just wonder what the proper way to handle this is.

Replies

• Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,416 Member
    I was pleasantly surprised when the Y reached out within a couple of days of being shut down saying they aren’t changing until they reopen. But my membership is quite a bit more and I’m sure there would be people that struggled making that payment especially with all of the job loss currently occurring.

Not sure what’s fair in such circumstances. We cannot use the services but as you mentioned, it is entirely out of their control. It’s a lose lose for everyone.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    It's a conundrum.....these gyms still have to pay rent while they're closed and some may be paying staff (I doubt too many of them) while they're off.

On the flip side many people right now have had their incomes interrupted / reduced and might not be able to absorb the additional cost at the moment.

The question is.....do you want your gym to be able to reopen when this is over?

Absolutely I’ll be the first one in line 🙋🏽‍♀️
  • hermesandcoco
    hermesandcoco Posts: 3 Member
    I’m at Goodlife in Canada. They automatically put everyone’s membership fees on hold, and for people who have a 1 year contract it will automatically be extended for the amount of time the gyms are closed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Our Y is putting memberships on hold while closed. Much appreciated. I don’t how closed gyms gonna survive. They still have space, equipment, and maintenance to pay for.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I have a yearly membership payed in full. When my gym closed they offered to extend our memberships equal to the closed period. It is a tiny co-op run gym, I would pay more if needed just to keep it running if they start getting tight on bill payments, etc. Not having any income atm, will be a struggle.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited March 2020
    My gym decided to still charge and stream live home workouts a couple of times a day (except weekends). Of course, it's not the same as having access to the equipment, but personally, I'm OK with this decision.
    My gym does give you the option to freeze membership for up to 3 months per year, and it's no-contract so very easy to cancel too, for those who wouldn't be OK with still paying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Chuze Fitness isn't charging until they can re-open.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My gym (privately owned) is simply extending my membership renewal date by the number of weeks that the gym needs to stay closed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Our Y is putting memberships on hold while closed. Much appreciated. I don’t how closed gyms gonna survive. They still have space, equipment, and maintenance to pay for.

Privately owned gyms are going to have a really rough time...large commercial gyms should fare better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Planet Fitness froze it's fees, but, honestly, I'd rather have the choice and opt to pay the $19.99/month and maybe have them continue to pay their employees, at least.

Great idea (for those of us not to have had our incomes disrupted too badly)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    My gym gave us members 3 options
    Freeze DD
    Pay half
    Continue to pay as normal

Virtually everyone has said they will continue to pay their membership, it’s one of the best gyms in the country so nobody wants it to close
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Lifetime Fitness sent out an email saying that they will reimburse a prorated amount for March and we will not be charged again until they reopen.
    I’m in Maryland & don’t see gyms opening til May the earliest.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I belong to a small town, privately owned gym. I know they run on slim profit margins. The owner is a good man. I pay or 3 months at a time up front, I hate contracts. I do not plan on asking for a refund. He treats us all well. Unfortunately, this shutdown has accelerated me piecing together a home gym. Ahhh... nothing like deadlifting in your boxers if you want! :D
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I have Silver Sneakers paid4 by Blue Shield. Never see a bill but I'm sure Blue Shield has the economic leveragecto make the gyms covered to forego payments if they are not open for business.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I belong to a Y. They’ve offered members the ability to freeze or pay — and I’ve decided to keep paying.

My Y is putting a lot of programming online, offering child care for medical providers and first responders, continuing to house people at the urban locations, and quite literally feeding people. I’m happy to keep giving them my money if it means they can keep supporting the community.